Comic 55 - Reveal your face

4th May 2018, 8:12 PM in Humble Beginnings at Humblestart
Average Rating: 5 (1 votes) Rate this comic
Reveal your face
<<First Latest>>

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 4th May 2018, 8:12 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You suggest that it's kind of racist to declare all humans look alike.

You take off your helmet and robe-scarf to prove that you're not the panty thief.

"...It's DEFINITELY you!," the fairy mass shouts. "You're not even trying to hide it!"

You start... backing your way toward the door, while explaining that you are certainly not the underwear bandit. He's your common enemy, and you keep getting blamed for things the other guy did. If the fairies know anything that could help you--

they stop charging their energy. You instinctively move as you watch the light fade, and manage to barely avoid a streak of lightning as it crashes from the sky to the top of the temple.

However, the lightning hitting the water still electrifies it. You feel the power course from your legs up through your body--it's incredibly painful. You're not sure you could have survived it if you'd been hit directly.

Further, you feel paralyzed--the electricity locking up your joints, stunning you in place. You have to watch helplessly as the fairies begin conjuring something else... a massive spike made of ice this time.

"So you're telling us you were framed... by someone that looks and sounds just like you? How stupid do you think we are?!"

You can manage to speak, at least. You continue to protest, even as the giant icicle is launched directly at you and--




gets blocked, as Valley and Inzo shove their way in front of you. "Are you, like, cool?!," Valley asks. "You okay?" She's wielding the Stone Zwei, which she equipped from your shared inventory. Don't think about the logistics too hard.

You hear Lagrand from behind you. "Fairies are mystical beings. Their collective anger may well be enough to have tainted the water supply of the woods. ...We must find a way to soothe their fury."

"Or Inzo smash them," suggests Inzo. "No fairieses, no problemses."

image

Comments:

Tech 4th May 2018, 9:17 PM edit delete reply
I don't think it'd be fair to "smash them" for being upset at having their privacy violated and their property stolen.
Zeraligator 5th May 2018, 5:28 AM edit delete reply
I agree but we aren't on good enough terms for them to trust us, if we say we'll do something for them they'll think we'll just run away. If we want them to trust us we need something we can do for them now.

- Zeraligator previously know as Guest
Mochi 4th May 2018, 9:39 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
we're hunting down the panty thief, we could promise to get their stuff back for them. that... might? help? i don't think we have much else in our current repertoire that could soothe the savage fairy.
Josephene 4th May 2018, 10:18 PM edit delete reply
Inzo could possibly make some temporary undergarments of appropriate size with his nimble engineers hands.
xenonni 4th May 2018, 10:26 PM edit delete reply
Try explaining that if we WERE the panty thief we would have no reason to come back here, adding that we can't hunt for the actual panty thief if we meet our end here. Surely the fares can be reasoned with!
Jex 5th May 2018, 9:56 AM edit delete reply
+1, visiting a place they previously robbed is not something a thief as elusive as the Panty Thief would do. Especially not without even sneaking around
Cass 5th May 2018, 11:29 AM edit delete reply
and also we have a bunch of people with us. theres seriously no reason for the panty thief to return and have a party of four with him. the fairies might be too angry to listen to reason though
TerraNova 4th May 2018, 11:02 PM edit delete reply
Show our inventory. We have no panties. And what panty thief in their right mind would ditch so many panties of such small size where they can be lost after going through the effort of stealing them all?!?!
Jex 5th May 2018, 9:54 AM edit delete reply
I agree, Nast has no panties in his inventory while someone who is a infamous panty thief would at least have one or two.
Szled 5th May 2018, 1:47 AM edit delete reply
Is the "Stone Zwei" supposed to be an easter eggbof some sorts? And also, "Zwei" means two in german(?).
Mochi 5th May 2018, 1:57 AM edit delete reply
Mochi
the "zwei" likely comes from "zweihänder" ("two-hander", also known as "beidenhänder" or "both-hander"), which is a type of large german sword meant to be wielded in both hands. think a greatsword or claymore. it was commonly wielded by specialized german mercenaries called "doppelsöldners" who fought on the front lines at increased risk for double pay.
Szled 5th May 2018, 4:39 AM edit delete reply
I know what the ZweiHander is, an Ultra-Great sword inndarksouls, hard to use but does damage, I had one buikd that couldmone hand it, kilked taurus deamon in one plunge attack, so yeah, I know what it is, but thanks for the info, didn't know it was used irl
Krylo 5th May 2018, 1:59 AM edit delete reply
Keep trying to talk them out of attacking us, but also ask if there's anything you can do to repair the damage your doppelganger has done, other than dying.

Also tell Valley and Inzo you want to solve this peacefully.

... if things go well turn on the charm. I bet faeries would inspire a pretty good spell.
Zeraligator 5th May 2018, 5:31 AM edit delete reply
If the charm works on individuals it could work quite well on the collective faerie.
Krylo 5th May 2018, 2:01 AM edit delete reply
If things go poorly, retreat and come back after acquiring replacement fairy panties.
Shadoe 5th May 2018, 6:38 AM edit delete reply
Ask if there is a way to prove our innocence? Show them our inventory?
TerraNova 5th May 2018, 7:26 AM edit delete reply
Also, once our innocence is proven, is there any way they can help us identify ourselve as NOT the panty thief? Getting constantly mistaken for him is becoming a serious issue.
Cloud 5th May 2018, 10:10 AM edit delete reply
Can we move, now?
Inumo 5th May 2018, 11:49 AM edit delete reply
While we start defending ourselves, two things to start considering for the future given the situation. 1) Do we have any obvious gaps in our memory between growing up and getting arrested? 2) Do we know enough about disguise potions to know if someone could have disguised themselves as us?