Comic 200 - Tie up the kuo-toa

6th Aug 2018, 6:25 PM in High Roads, Low Roads, Threeroads
Average Rating: 4.8 (5 votes) Rate this comic
Tie up the kuo-toa
<<First Latest>>

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 6th Aug 2018, 6:25 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You tie up the kuo-toa with reinforced vines, and feed him one of your recovereats to stabilize him.


Since he's technically alive still, you're also able to use Steal on him; you steal an acid enzyme.

You press on and, sure enough--just a little but farther ahead, the debris blocks your path... rubble from when the scylla, at some point prior, shook the tunnel. The rubble goes all the way to the ceiling.

"Inzo will check under water!," declares the goblin.

"Is that really such a good idea--" protests Emerald, "--diving below alone? We know that there's at minimum a scylla down there..."

"Inzo will being fine!," he retorts. "Smartses, with the tough robots."

And with that, Inzo steers his mech straight into the water. You watch as he sinks downward, hoping he remembered to shut his fans before he took the dive.

While you wait for him to return from looking for a way through, you decide to do some fishing.


image


"Do you think it's really that simple?," Emerald asks before clarifying, "Godhood. Simply... acquiring worshipers. That woman had to have been aware she wasn't truly a goddess, at present."

Honestly, you're not sure how godhood works, or if it even does; there's conflicting views on whether the gods even exist within your own party. Ranse doesn't believe they're real, Lagrand believes they might be but they're either powerless or they don't care, and Justice believes there's gods but only one really important one. You've seen undead, personally, and no one seems to dispute the existence of demons...

but gods, you're not really sure one way or the other as of yet.

There's also a contingent of people that worship the old archmages, which... from everything you've heard thus far, seems like a terrible idea.

Emerald nods. "I have done a great deal of reading, and... most history books I've combed through scarcely mention the archmages. It's as though history spontaneously sprung up upon their downfall, and only began to be recorded at the dawn of civil war."

You've heard something similar from Lagrand--that the reign of the archmages should be taught, but nobody seems to be holding onto it. To be fair, you barely know anything about the war, either.

"Without the archmages, there was the question of who should rule," Emerald replies. "Other kingdoms, from what I've gathered, resolved the issue quickly. THIS kingdom fell into ruin, with would-be conquerors building armies overnight and vying for authority by force. Even those with no interest in a throne were brought into the conflict... and in fact, the one who eventually became king hadn't originally planned to. An army formed around him, due to his kindness and bravery, and the king's followers proposed the throne on his behalf. Every king since then has been of that same bloodline."

And now the current king is trying to have you executed on false charges.

"That is the problem with royal lineage..." Emerald begins. "A king may be wise, but a prince may not be. Slimes don't really age, of course..."

Emerald draws nearer.

Very near, her breasts lightly brushing against your arm. "So, I'll have no need for an heir. My desire for a husband is politically and..." She smirks, faintly, "personally motivated. After we prove you're innocent of these silly accusations, we should see about moving you to a more interesting position..."

Her smirk widens. "In the political hierarchy, I mean."



The building tension is cut off by a massive splash, the goblobster abruptly breaking the surface of the water. It... does not look like it's had a great time, and neither does Inzo, who's sweating inside the mech. "Monsters!," he huffs, sitting on the edge of his seat. "Mean ones. Big ones. Inzo not find a way through, though. Just nasty monsterses."

Overall, you catch two unimpressive trout, a troll faced tuna, and... a sticky salmon.

Which is, as the name implies, very sticky. And kind of gross.






MEANWHILE, IN THREE ROADS

image


"So like..." Valley looks around, scratching her head before giggling a little. "Now what?"

"I'm... honestly not sure," Justice replies. "We need to gather information on the knights, and the location of a disguise ring."

"A-and... potions," adds Ranse. "Even... i-if we do findadisguisering, the potions... th-the potions, being stockpiled still suggest s-something'sgoingon. Something... relevant. To Nast. Probably."

Justice nods. "This is true. However, the place we're most likely to obtain that information..."

She trails off, and Valley picks up where she drifted. "--Is toootally the thieves guild, who would also totally sell us out if they got like, half a chance?"

"W-we... don'thaveNast. With us." Ranse stares off and away, trying to sort her thoughts. "That... sh-should limit the danger. Somewhat."

"We should be careful nonetheless," Justice implores. "There are many desperate people in this city, and not just within the thieves guild."

Comments:

Professor Cupcake 6th Aug 2018, 8:30 PM edit delete reply
Professor Cupcake
I have no action to suggest, but I do want to say: happy 200th issue! Been great so far, and is only getting better :D
Some Random Guy 6th Aug 2018, 9:34 PM edit delete reply
Congrats, Morgen!
ZincFingers 6th Aug 2018, 10:38 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Hmm, 200 pages of quality content, bravo good Sir.
GS 7th Aug 2018, 12:40 AM edit delete reply
Well done! Quite the achievement. ^_^
MakePeaceAndLove 7th Aug 2018, 9:14 AM edit delete reply
Happy 200'th comic!
Guest 7th Aug 2018, 1:28 PM edit delete reply
+200, Congratulations and Thank you!
Krylo 6th Aug 2018, 8:31 PM edit delete reply
Krylo
Head into the thieves guild. I have faith in this group to handle themselves and escape if necessary.

Ask questions.

It is time to be doing so.
YetiOlwen 6th Aug 2018, 9:03 PM edit delete reply
YetiOlwen
+1
Although maybe do some shopping and selling first. If we need to make a quick getaway for whatever reason I want us to at least have that done.
Some Random Guy 6th Aug 2018, 9:33 PM edit delete reply
+1 to shopping. We need to restock on health potions.
ZincFingers 6th Aug 2018, 10:41 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
I’m on board with shopping before heading to the guild, it’ll give us a chance to determine exactly how dense the knight population is, and listen around for rumours.
Krylo 6th Aug 2018, 11:57 PM edit delete reply
Krylo
Ah right, yes, do shopping first. Good call.
GS 7th Aug 2018, 12:41 AM edit delete reply
We also need to find out what happened with that boar we accidentally teleported into the city.
MakePeaceAndLove 7th Aug 2018, 9:33 AM edit delete reply
+1 to shopping first and then potentially visiting the thief's guild.
Devus 7th Aug 2018, 10:32 AM edit delete reply
+1 to shopping, if only because thieves have to have some kind of ability to steal gold, so let's walk in with light pockets.
Rent 7th Aug 2018, 12:42 PM edit delete reply
+1 to this whole thread
JiggilyJoe 6th Aug 2018, 8:45 PM edit delete reply
JiggilyJoe
On the previous group, we need to stick the troll tuna in the inventory so it can be fed to our baby cock.

The girls are also shopping for a new outfit for Ranse. Maybe they can pick up some local gossip before heading to the thieves guild. Luckily they have a thieves guild membership card so entry shouldn't be a problem.
We have a very powerful team here so I'm sure they can handle anything that comes their way. Maybe they can even talk to the guild master.
G. Sansa 6th Aug 2018, 10:51 PM edit delete reply
+1 on doing some shopping and chatting up of the locals before we head to the thieves guild. Questions:

- What happened with the boar?
- Where do the knights hang out? How do they patrol?
- Where are the catacombs? (Probably connected to the TG, but can't hurt to keep an eye out)
- Can we buy any healing/holy/watery foods to put in the inventory for our cock?
- Can anybody here make us some custom fairy panties? If not, where would we look for that?
- Is there something respectful we can do to ditch the bones from our inventory?
ZincFingers 6th Aug 2018, 11:31 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
All solid questions, my only suggestion would to ask about the knights as innocently as possible, asking overtly might draw attention.

“Lot more knights since I was last here, aren’t they getting in everyone’s way?”

(Which should get as at least an idea of where they are in number)

Questions like that.
Guest 6th Aug 2018, 11:40 PM edit delete reply
+1 to shopping then Thieves' Guild.

Good set of questions. I bet something regrettable happens before we're halfway through getting them answered.
ZincFingers 7th Aug 2018, 12:00 AM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Well, yeah, we wouldn’t be adventures if we could get more than halfway through something without something else getting in the way.
Gandalf 7th Aug 2018, 4:25 AM edit delete reply
Gandalf
This is just a shopping list of six simple questions though; says a lot about our expectations that getting just three of them answered without chaos unfolding around us will feel like a win!
MakePeaceAndLove 7th Aug 2018, 9:38 AM edit delete reply
+1 in general, to JigglyJoe's idea to stash the fish we bought, and all those great questions that G.Sansa brought up.

... however, I would actually hold onto the bones. >.> I know it's very unlikely, but... imagine we meet some shady character that will ask us for (human) bones later on. Then we don't need to kill people/desecrate graves because we'll already have these from skeletons that we've fought before.

It's an old JRPG trope/trend that you shouldn't sell/throw away items at random, because you never know when that item will become important for some quest, and sometimes getting it again can be troublesome if not impossible.
Double V 6th Aug 2018, 9:04 PM edit delete reply
I wonder if a slime would noticeably gain any magical properties by feeding on a mage's semen.
Some Random Guy 6th Aug 2018, 9:37 PM edit delete reply
hmmmmm

indeed
MakePeaceAndLove 7th Aug 2018, 9:41 AM edit delete reply
Maybe she would develop/awaken magic powers?

I mean, that's as good an excuse as any! But, I appreciate that Emmy is coming onto Nast so much, I love her flirting style, it's subtle but with that sparkle in her eye.
YetiOlwen 6th Aug 2018, 9:09 PM edit delete reply
YetiOlwen
Feed Emerald the sticky salmon, she might get sticky slime powers, although since this isn't a slime based fish the powers may not... stick
YetiOlwen 6th Aug 2018, 9:10 PM edit delete reply
YetiOlwen
Alternatively we could use it as bait and see if something better gets stuck to it
Some Random Guy 6th Aug 2018, 9:37 PM edit delete reply
I was actually gonna suggest that Valley should wear the Stone Gauntlets and the Belt of the Brawler, but Emmy still has the belt.
Some Random Guy 6th Aug 2018, 9:40 PM edit delete reply
Also, has anyone else noticed that the pirate clothes Nast is wearing are not in the Lore?
Gandalf 7th Aug 2018, 4:27 AM edit delete reply
Gandalf
Could pass the belt through the Inventory.
Antarean 6th Aug 2018, 11:18 PM edit delete reply
I wonder if we can use the wind wand to somehow breathe underwater. I don't think we should try blowing air directly into our lungs, that probably wouldn't end well, but if it can actually create air underwater we might be able to create our own bottle of everlasting air, of sorts. Alternatively, we can see if Inzo can create scuba gear. And we don't know if Emerald can breathe underwater or not.

On a related note, do we know how to swim? I'm not sure it's been mentioned before.
ZincFingers 6th Aug 2018, 11:32 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Safe assumption that we do, being the son of a fisherman and growing up on a coast with a decent beach. Still, best wait until we have more solid word of god.
MakePeaceAndLove 7th Aug 2018, 9:43 AM edit delete reply
I'd guess that we can swim, but for longer trips that scuba gear from Inzo seems like our best bet. Or maybe Ranse knows a potion that can give us water-breathing temporarily? That seems like a common enough effect to be in demand sometimes from alchemists.

But I'm also in favor of experimenting with our Wind Wand some more, when we have mana to spare and want to try some new moves in a relatively safe environment. Like perhaps before turning in for the night? So that's something to remember for later.
1977 7th Aug 2018, 12:50 AM edit delete reply
I suggested it earlier, let Justice equip the Staff of Masons.
The staff should be better than the hammer she currently has.
This way we could reveal more of it's abilities as well.
Who knows, it could even give a bonus to fighting gargoyles since they are made of stone.

Go to the bakers guild to get more food for our chick to eat.
Maybe ask about recovereat. How is it made? Would adding minitaurmilk to the recipe improve the taste?
Minitaurmilk as an ingredient for healthfood in general seems like a good idea.

Discreetly find out about the boar.

Look for a tailor, maybe even their own guild, to find someone to make the fairypanties.
echo 7th Aug 2018, 2:07 AM edit delete reply
I don't see how any of her current abilities have anything to do with construction, deconstruction or repair. The repairpart doesn't apply to healing. And apart from its magical effect it's just a rock tied to a stick. Would that really deal more damage than a hammer designed for breaking rocks?
ZincFingers 7th Aug 2018, 4:17 AM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Hmmm, it is a long shot... but, technically the HWE is a construct... the Staff of Masons could potentially improve it...

Maybe like, give it some form of ice armour... I don’t know, as I said, long shot.
1977 7th Aug 2018, 5:47 AM edit delete reply
The hammer is, as you said designed for breaking rocks.
No other boni apply.

The staff enhances spells related to construction, deconstruction and repair.
As ZincFingers pointed out the HWE is a construct, improvement in some form is reasonable.
Bonusdamage to stone, just like with the hammer would be a big + and justify giving the staff to the cleric with staffproficiency even more.
echo 7th Aug 2018, 10:31 AM edit delete reply
Ok, holding it might be worth it to see if anything changes. I still think using it to hit anything with is a bad idea. It is a random, completely ordinary, stick Justice picked up off the forest floor. She didn't select it for its durability nor with the idea whacking something with it in mind, the Staff of Masons is probably the most fragile weapon we have.
MakePeaceAndLove 7th Aug 2018, 9:47 AM edit delete reply
I'm with ZincFingers that maaaybe the HWE would count. It's a long shot, but we can just hold it and get a feel for it, we've got nothing to lose, right?

On that same note, I'm curious if we could pass it around for any reaction from the others. Inzo and Ranse aren't magicians but I'm curious... plus Ranse can always smell something from it? Maybe.

In terms of its usefulness as a weapon, however, I'm concerned if it will really be stronger and/or sturdier than the hammer. A staff normally isn't that hard, but this one was reinforced by the forge... that's also something we'll need to experiment with. If the staff properly fused with the rock then it could've gained plenty hardness, plus we must've 'habitually' Reinforced it already, too, so it should be more even durable thanks to that.
Iago 7th Aug 2018, 8:18 PM edit delete reply
If nothing else, knowing for sure whether or not it works on the HWElly is important.
Now may not be the best time, but we need to test it out, sooner rather than later.
It would also give us a better idea of what the staff can affect.
GS 7th Aug 2018, 2:46 AM edit delete reply
Nast, Inzo and Emerald should leave the caves for now.
Onward to Lichtsend and the puppeteer! -- with our prisoner in tow.

And make a note in the journal to let the others know what happened.
MakePeaceAndLove 7th Aug 2018, 9:49 AM edit delete reply
We can't drag him outside the cave in daytime because Kuo-Toa hate the sun, now THAT would be torturing our prisoner.

I'd say keep fishing, wait in case the Scylla returns, then when it gets dark we can venture out, or our other group can come meet us if they've got the time to spare.
1977 7th Aug 2018, 11:07 AM edit delete reply
@ MPAL
That's why I said put him in the inventory on the last page.
Day or night doesn't matter in the inventory and when a live chick can be put into it then a tied up prisoner should work too.
Krylo 7th Aug 2018, 2:31 PM edit delete reply
Krylo
-1 to bringing the kuo-toa to town, for multiple reasons.

Firstly, we aren't the guards or the knights and just marching a prisoner into town as random citizens is. . . disruptive at best?

Secondly, Kuo-Toa don't seem to have good relations with other people, and for pretty good reason (apparently they're murderers who sacrifice the innocent to their old gods and maybe eat people). Bringing him into town might result in him being stoned or killed, and that's not something one does with PoWs. We treat our prisoners well because we're better than people who don't.

And thirdly, it's going to draw a lot of attention to us and we don't want the knights having any idea where we are.

And fourthly, even if the people don't do anything violent, the local guard could come to take away the fish man, and that has its own list of problems ranging from Nast being wanted to just--he's our prisoner and we want to question him.
Gandalf 7th Aug 2018, 4:47 PM edit delete reply
Gandalf
My thoughts for the kuo-toa alchemist:
1) Get Justice to talk to him.
2) See if he is of any interest to our kuo-toa fishing buddy.
3) Release him.

Can't see any other good options. Definitely agree he should be treated well, whether or not he appreciates it.
Krylo 7th Aug 2018, 6:53 PM edit delete reply
Krylo
I still suggest attempting to ransom him back as he seems fine kind of leader. But if that doesn't work we can release him with the knowledge we were kind to him and his people are dicks.

It might give him something to think about as far as his life choices go.
Iago 7th Aug 2018, 8:21 PM edit delete reply
As a leader type, and clearly a fishdude of some experience, he might know at least bits of the common tongue. If there is such a thing. Humanspeak. Something.
Let's try talking before we call for a translator.
G. Sansa 7th Aug 2018, 7:24 AM edit delete reply
I think it's worth commenting on Emerald's thing for Nast. It's flattering, but her fairytale ideas of what marriage means are not where Nast is.

At the very least, she needs to broaden her horizons first. Including ditching the old-fashioned idea of "purity". Find somebody to have a fling with where the power dynamic isn't so asymmetrical. Of the current party members, Ranse is the best prospect.

And if what she learns is that sex is fun for its own sake, and then one thing leads to another and they have a threesome with Nast, then fine.
Some Random Guy 7th Aug 2018, 8:18 AM edit delete reply
Good point; we need to have a talk about this stuff with Emmy at some point in time. It's flattering, that she is offering the chance to rule over a kingdom, but Nast has shown himself as not the type to settle with one girl.

Also, that kingdom is not even that large yet, and is filled mostly with slimes. I have nothing against slimes, but we shouldn't be too far from our own species for so long, right?

Finally, and most importantly, is the opportunity to be a king what Nast really wants to do with his life? There will be less chances to go off adventuring.

Anyone else's opinion?
GS 7th Aug 2018, 9:11 AM edit delete reply
As Emmy herself has pointed out, she has no need for sex, not even for reproduction.
To her, pursuing a pure ideal is much more attainable and even natural than for members of a species who not only derive pleasure from sex, but whose instincts are screaming at them to pass on their genes before they die.

Just a little something to keep in mind.
MakePeaceAndLove 7th Aug 2018, 9:57 AM edit delete reply
I'm all in favor of talking about it with Emmy. What we tell her is something to discuss more, I suppose.

Emmy already saw Nast with Ranse, remember (and what a cool scene that was!) so I'd say we're already broadening her horizons a bit, at least compared to that time when she stated she will stay pure to marry for political reasons, back in the Slime Cave. I'm sure that's still important to her, but the balance may be shifting a bit in favor of experimenting too.

I'd like for Nast to be honest about this situation. We have a really interesting party dynamic and Nast kind of depends on his sexcapades to continue learning spells, both of which are arguments against settling down for life. Is that something Emmy can accept? Let her think about it, no pressure, but if she's certain that doesn't discourage her, we can start experimenting a bit more... buuut keep the burn resist potion ready, then!
Devus 7th Aug 2018, 10:40 AM edit delete reply
Something to think about is that we don't have the political power she needs. Although if we beat the main quest, defending the Princess's Honor has to be worth at least a Knighthood. And saving the realm from whatever dark power is making people forget the Archmages (if it is indeed a threat) would be worth a Dukedom.
JiggilyJoe 7th Aug 2018, 12:20 PM edit delete reply
JiggilyJoe
+1 to all the above. Emmy needs to understand that Nast can't settle down into a monogamous relationship, even Justice understood that much and accepted it.
I think Emmy wants romantic love and sadly Nast can't give her that beyond a limited scope.
Gandalf 7th Aug 2018, 4:41 PM edit delete reply
Gandalf
I think being royalty would work fine for Nast. (Not sure Emmy's consort would be a king though, she's already King Slime herself.) I think he would be fine carrying on the adventuring, like Odysseus or King Arthur or whoever.

Much more relevant and doubtful are the questions about how the relationship would suit Emmy.
GS 7th Aug 2018, 9:08 AM edit delete reply
Did we ever have a chat with Emerald on the subject of how she feels about Nast's... what do I call it... his loose polyamorous arrangement and tendency to casual hookups?
MakePeaceAndLove 7th Aug 2018, 9:59 AM edit delete reply
Not yet I think. We should find time for such a chat!

However, now that Inzo is back the dark cave immediately feels less intimate, so we may have to delay that talk until a better opportunity presents itself. >.>
Gandalf 7th Aug 2018, 5:48 PM edit delete reply
Gandalf
Does it look like clearing the rubble is an option? I guess there's a lot of it but the water seems deep so we can drop it in there and I can't see it would trouble Kori any. Will take a while, but passes the time while we wait for nightfall so we can take the kuo-toa outside.
Krylo 8th Aug 2018, 6:12 AM edit delete reply
Krylo
If we do that we should reinforce as much of the surrounding walls as possible. Removing the rubble might cause more lose stone to shift and create another cave in.
1977 8th Aug 2018, 6:43 AM edit delete reply
Should be a nice addition to our 2 piles of stone we already have.
Our sidequest of acquiring lots of buildingmaterials is sometimes surprisingly easy to fulfill.
Gandalf 8th Aug 2018, 11:19 AM edit delete reply
Gandalf
Yes, damn it, forgot about the Inventory. No need to drop anything in the water - we can save the rubble for future use.
Vilem 8th Aug 2018, 5:57 PM edit delete reply
Remember to search for the body of the third ("invisible") Kuo-toa. He fell to the ground with a thud and didn't get back up, so it should still be on the ground around here. Add it inventory. Might be able to use it as a component or as chicken food (make chicken invisible and breath underwater?) or maybe ask friendly fishing Kuo-toa what his people would like us to do with the body?