Comic 196 - Wreck some kuo-toa

1st Aug 2018, 10:11 PM in High Roads, Low Roads, Threeroads
Average Rating: 5 (2 votes) Rate this comic
Wreck some kuo-toa
<<First Latest>>

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 1st Aug 2018, 10:11 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You start the assault with a wind slash, angling it at the kuo-toa alchemist's injector. It connects, shattering the glass and slicing him across the side of the belly. The kuo-toa he was injecting seems to just... vanish, fading into thin air, dropping his trident entirely in the process.

The other kuo-toa recovers from his brief stun... just in time for Emerald to have pushed through the crowd. She unleashes her tentacles, immediately paralyzing the kuo-toa and locking it down anew.

"Bloody 'ells!," yells Hemingway. "Is she a transmuter?!" There's a large splash to the side of the bridge, but you can't tell what caused it.

Emmy steps back, and Inzo unloads a blast of exploding bubbles; the kuo-toa alchemist does his best to use his ally for cover while fumbling around for... something. Sheila lunges forward, following up on the series of small explosions with a hard swing from the anchor, drawing deep blood and shoving the kuo-toa back toward the alchemist.

By this point, he's found what's he looking for: a potion, of some form or another. Before the alchemist can down it, though, you swing your wand again... conjuring a tornado, and shouting for Hemingway to chuck fire into it.

The initial tornado blows the potion right out of the alchemist's hand, and sucks the already injured fighter with the trident nearer still. The potion bottle shatters against one of the walls, rendered useless. Hemingway throws a few fireballs, again arcing them over the party but not triggering them to explode this time; as you predicted, they light the tornado aflame. You hear shrieking from both kuo-toa caught in the pyrestorm.

...You also hear a loud splash from somewhere behind you.

You turn, just as something shoves Mangobeard right off the dock and into the water.

"Avast!" Sploosh.

Hemingway begins to conjure a spell, but is... punched? In the face? You still can't see the attacker at all, but Hemingway's hit hard enough that he almost drops, stumbling backward and fighting to stay standing.


image

Comments:

nathan400 1st Aug 2018, 10:37 PM edit delete reply
nathan400
Invisible man in the room!
Invisible man in the room!
Invisible man in the room!
Invisible man in the room!
Quickly, we need a light fog or dust storm, something that will make him visible as he disrupts it with his movements! Or a flamethrower or other wide area of attack!
Lapdragon 1st Aug 2018, 10:47 PM edit delete reply
Lapdragon
Splash some water to the pyrenado - we'll get steam, which should reveal our invisible fishman.
MakePeaceAndLove 1st Aug 2018, 11:14 PM edit delete reply
-1 to splashing water on the pyrenado and dousing it for steam. Steam would mean we can't see either, none of our party can see through thick clouds of steam, and worse, that hot steam spreading everywhere would sting our eyes. >.> Inzo would manage in his mech and with goggles on, and Emmy might be okay because she's a King Slime, but for the others, we'd be almost blinded. We need to find another way to deal with the invisible enemy.
Lapdragon 1st Aug 2018, 11:58 PM edit delete reply
Lapdragon
I'm not saying to put out the pyrenado with water, just splash some into it to make the steam - we don't need a lot, just enough to make the Kuo-toa visible.
Krylo 1st Aug 2018, 10:39 PM edit delete reply
Krylo
Invisible fish.

Emerald should stretch out along the ground again like with the rabbits and activate paralysis. Next time it comes up to punch someone it should get paralyzed and then Emmy can close up on it to finish it off.

Also inform the pirates of what is happening so they can throw out dust or anything else they might have to make it visible.
MakePeaceAndLove 1st Aug 2018, 11:11 PM edit delete reply
+1 to letting Emmy take care of it. I was thinking more along the lines of her whipping about those tendrils but stretching out along the floor works better, once he falls she can surround and grapple him to signal his position.

The others stay on guard and keep the other two Kuo-Toa under pressure.
ZincFingers 1st Aug 2018, 11:40 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Yeah, para-trap seems the way to go, although I don’t think we should discount the ones caught in the pyrestorm, someone should keep an eye on them (and the sea-serpent-snake-thing).

If we had some way of kicking up a heap of dust, it might cling to the invisible one, since the sounds we have heard probably mean that they are no long out of the water, maybe a weaker gust of wind up at the ceiling?
Krylo 2nd Aug 2018, 1:07 AM edit delete reply
Krylo
Wind at the ceiling isn't a bad idea. Maybe some exploding bubbles would dislodge a little more than wind would, though.
ZincFingers 2nd Aug 2018, 1:54 AM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
The problem with exploding bubbles is that we don’t yet have a firm grasp on how destructive they are, and we risk a cave in. If Inzo is confident that it won’t, he can follow up if the wind doesn’t work.
Eyebrows 2nd Aug 2018, 12:54 AM edit delete reply
+1
Gandalf 2nd Aug 2018, 1:13 AM edit delete reply
Gandalf
+1 to paralysing the invisible kuo toa until the injection wears off.
YetiOlwen 2nd Aug 2018, 2:01 AM edit delete reply
YetiOlwen
+1 to emerald puddle
Gandalf 2nd Aug 2018, 2:14 AM edit delete reply
Gandalf
And presumably Emmy will also then know where it is because it will be standing on part of her.
Jex 1st Aug 2018, 10:41 PM edit delete reply
It seems we have an invisable kuo-toa. Shoot a wide attack in the direction and then get behind Inzo, who should make bubbles as a sort of area filling thing to try and find/attack the opponent. They may have already gone back in the water though so be on guard for that and also them attacking from the opposite side.
Twyll 1st Aug 2018, 10:42 PM edit delete reply
Can Inzo use his fans to blow some dust around to try to detect the invisible kuo-toa? Note to self: next time we go shopping, put a bag of flour in the inventory for situations like these.

Also, has the snek decided to *do* anything yet, or is it still just chilling? I'm fine with it chilling, of course XD
MakePeaceAndLove 1st Aug 2018, 11:12 PM edit delete reply
To me it looks like it's still chillin' there. Good thing we decided to leave it alone for now, huh?
ZincFingers 1st Aug 2018, 11:41 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Ah, Twyll had the same dust idea. Unfortunately I don’t think the Globster has fans attached. We could hastily Deinforce+ some rocks? But that seems excessive.
Watchman 1st Aug 2018, 11:59 PM edit delete reply
Should we fish out mango or maybe use the wind to pick mango out of the water?Can inzo use gob juices from his mech as depth charges to try and force the enemy under or out of the water or is a gob juice launcher not part of his mechs current setup?
JiggilyJoe 2nd Aug 2018, 12:42 AM edit delete reply
JiggilyJoe
The second splash was the invisible guy jumping out of the water to flank us. The first two are still in the pyronado.
Inzo needs to head towards the invisible guy, and Sheila needs to get ready to swing for the first to escape the 'nado.
Korsha 2nd Aug 2018, 12:42 AM edit delete reply
Invisible Koa-toa = Bexley to the rescue!
Have him wildly fling poo in the direction Hemmingway was attacked. Once It's covered in smelly monkey cakes, we take it out before it has a chance to jump in the water and wash off
JiggilyJoe 2nd Aug 2018, 12:50 AM edit delete reply
JiggilyJoe
Hahaha! Love this! +1 to Bixley poo!
Professor Cupcake 2nd Aug 2018, 7:45 PM edit delete reply
Professor Cupcake
Yes. This.

I don't even care if it doesn't work.
YetiOlwen 2nd Aug 2018, 12:55 AM edit delete reply
YetiOlwen
Tear pages from one of our books (Arcane Lore, or Chickepedia) and throw them into the air. The tornado should be creating enough wind to blow them around the room, hopefully sticking to a moist fish man.
Krylo 2nd Aug 2018, 1:09 AM edit delete reply
Krylo
I don't think we should destroy any of our books unless all other options have been tried and failed. Those are important informational tomes.
GS 2nd Aug 2018, 1:14 AM edit delete reply
I agree with Krylo. There are other options, and this one's too haphazard.
YetiOlwen 2nd Aug 2018, 1:18 AM edit delete reply
YetiOlwen
The Chickepedia was 5g and readily accessible in a small fishing village with a less then ideal selection of books. I don't feel too stressed about losing it as it is easily replaceable.
YetiOlwen 2nd Aug 2018, 1:27 AM edit delete reply
YetiOlwen
I do agree about it's haphazardness, but I'm not sure how much dust there is on a wet cave floor wooden dock. It's just the only thing I saw in the inventory that really had any potential spread out in an area and/or stick to things.
MakePeaceAndLove 2nd Aug 2018, 8:24 AM edit delete reply
-1 to tearing pages from any of our books. I feel like that would be even less effective than dust from the ceiling, and I prefer to let Emmy locate the invisible Kuo-Toa regardless.
Professor Cupcake 2nd Aug 2018, 7:45 PM edit delete reply
Professor Cupcake
Destroy our books?! No.
Watchman 2nd Aug 2018, 12:57 AM edit delete reply
Assuming the tornado doesn’t incinerate or melt them
YetiOlwen 2nd Aug 2018, 1:02 AM edit delete reply
YetiOlwen
Burnt paper still makes ash, so similar effect. Just don't toss them directly into the pyrestorm and it shouldn't be a big problem
Lapdragon 2nd Aug 2018, 2:38 AM edit delete reply
Lapdragon
The pyrestorm managed to suck in a 90 kilo fishman... I'm not sure that anything light in it's vicinity would go where we wanted it, unless we wanted it to go into the pyrestorm.
GS 2nd Aug 2018, 1:13 AM edit delete reply
Have Hemingway conjure something gritty and sticky and tornado it, cover the area in the stuff so we're all coated in it, including the invisible kuo-toa.
ZincFingers 2nd Aug 2018, 1:51 AM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
He doesn’t even need to throw it in the tornado, just spray it from his hand in the direction the fish mostly likely is, and considering it just punched him in that face, that’s probably right in front of him.
YetiOlwen 2nd Aug 2018, 1:59 AM edit delete reply
YetiOlwen
If he can do anything like that great, but he is fighting to remain standing and will likely get punched again if he starts attempting to conjure anything else.
GS 2nd Aug 2018, 4:06 PM edit delete reply
This is where Sheila extends the chain on Grandpa's anchor + and starts swinging it around and around at chest height while our party ducks.
While the kuo-toa is struggling to deal with that, Hemingway and Nast cast.
Vilem 2nd Aug 2018, 5:08 PM edit delete reply
+1 Shiela striking behind us with the anchor at the area likely for the invisible kua-toa.

Also, have Inzo fire some suppressive bubble streams through the area behind us. Note if any bubbles burst on invisible kua-toa. Suppressive bubble streams may also keep invisible guy away from us.

How narrow is pathway we are on?
Is it narrow enough so that the invisible kua-toa cannot easily sneak around anchor swings, tentacles waving, and bubble streams spraying back and forth horizontally?
Vilem 2nd Aug 2018, 2:11 AM edit delete reply
-1 to damaging or burning books. Just because we found these books once doesn't mean we can go to the local Barnes & Nobles in Threeroads to get replacements. For example, we have not seen any duplicate copies of any of our books yet.
Guest 2nd Aug 2018, 9:38 AM edit delete reply
Not the most useful thought for now, but bubblenado could be interesting... big damage for anything that falls into it.
Antarean 2nd Aug 2018, 9:42 AM edit delete reply
I agree that Emerald should paralyze the invisible kuo-toa, but I'm not sure if there's enough space for her to spread out on the ground. If she just moves to intercept it using consentacles and para touch that should do it. She'll either make contact with the consentacles or it'll try to hit her. Either way it'll end up paralyzed and then Emerald just has to stay in contact with it while the others damage it.

I was going to suggest using wind slices on the ones in the pyrestorm to keep up the attack, but we don't want to inadvertently spread the fire around and aggravate the snake They seem trapped in it for the moment though. Maybe Sheila can use the anchor at close range on them.

Also, when we're done with the battle, if the snake still hasn't done anything, we should consider feeding it the kuo-toa so it stays friendly.
Vilem 2nd Aug 2018, 4:58 PM edit delete reply
Ok with giving some Kua-Toa bits to the snake, but save Kua-Toa poke (Hawaiian style chunk sushi) for our chicken.
Vilem 2nd Aug 2018, 5:11 PM edit delete reply
Clarification. Dont feed kua-toa chunks to snake until after the combat.
RicardtheDragoon 2nd Aug 2018, 10:00 AM edit delete reply
No appreciation for the wonderful cover Morgenstern, via Hemingway, just provided us for Emerald's abilities? Still have to decide if we want to tell them she is actually a slime afterwards.

Both the Bexley idea and the idea involving Emerald could be effective, but the Emerald-puddle option is far more likely to succeed usefully.

At this point, it seems probable that, barring a tempting opening like a tasty kuo-toa morsel, the serpent won't interfere at least until struck. So, let's avoid that for now.

Pertaining to the next stage of combat, Inzo should be prepared to handle the serpent should anything happen. Perhaps diving into the water at this point could clear some space for others to act more easily or permit Inzo space to act. Once the invisible kuo-toa is paralyzed above Emerald, a quick Windslash, parallel to the ground, should suffice or just let Bexley and Hemingway handle it or even ignore the kuo-toa entirely. Once the other two escape the Pyrenado, Nast and Sheila can most likely handle unless the alchemist hasn't else up his sleeve.

Basically, with the invisible guy out of the way and Inzo ready to handle the serpent, we should be find.

*Cue unexpected complicating factor.*
Gregor Sansa 2nd Aug 2018, 1:03 PM edit delete reply
Nast should try steal on the alchemist. He might get pulled into the firenado but I think if that happens he can tank it out for a little while and then cancel it with the wand; the KTs will be dead or badly damaged by that time and Nast can heal. And given that the 'nado is already quite full I think the risks of getting pulled in are minimal.

Somebody should make sure that Mangobeard is OK. I bet he can swim or has another bottle of air but if not, or even if we just can't tell, it's worth giving him his bottle back. Saving his life is more important than holding onto his collateral.

We might want to throw a cooked meat to the snake as a gesture of friendship.

Other than that, I think this fight is going swimmingly. Emerald can deal with the invisible KT, as others have already suggested.
MakePeaceAndLove 2nd Aug 2018, 2:39 PM edit delete reply
+1 to giving Mangobeard the bottle of air back. Nevermind the trade, he needs it more than us at this moment. I'm just torn on whether we should toss it into the water and hope he catches it, or have Nast dive into the water to offer it. Those two can probably manage underwater by sharing it, passing it back and forth until the coast is clear to resurface.

Otherwise, I'm all in favor of trying to Steal. But don't go for the Kuo-Toa still in the firenado, not just yet - instead, first turn around and steal from the invisible Kuo-Toa once Emmy paralyzes it. Stealing from paralyzed targets should be a cinch.

I wouldn't throw anything, even our cooked meat, at the snake, at least not yet. It could treat it as an attack and respond poorly, let's just finish this battle and then deal with the snake.
Cptn_Nerdrage 2nd Aug 2018, 5:48 PM edit delete reply
Is it possible to make a bubble tornado with Inzo's mech?
Additionally, is there any other way to augment his bubbles using the wind wand?
Krylo 2nd Aug 2018, 7:07 PM edit delete reply
Krylo
Also, we need to make passes at Hemingway.