Comic 193 - Ask about familiars

29th Jul 2018, 10:01 PM in High Roads, Low Roads, Threeroads
Average Rating: 5 (1 votes) Rate this comic
Ask about familiars
<<First Latest>>

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 29th Jul 2018, 10:01 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You ask what the pirates are capable of--if maybe they could be any help fighting the serpent.

"Aye, we could give 'er a shot," Mangobeard replies. "We're more of uh... lootin' and sailin' pirates than fightin' pirates, though... Hemingway might be th' hardest hittin' one on th' crew, on account o' his magic and all."

"I do conjuration," Hemingway states. "Makin' things outta nothin'. Well, not nothin', but... forces what aren't of this world, and not in th' shapes I make 'em into."

You ask Hemingway about acquiring a familiar--you do a little magic yourself, but you've not heard of that practice.

"Oh, s'not too difficult," Hemingway replies. "Just gotta befriend somethin' smaller 'an you, mate--form a connection. Dif'rent beasties give dif'rent abilities with their bond. Bein' connected to Bexley makes me..." He smirks, just a little. "Well, let's say better with me hands, and leave it at that."

You also ask how attached the pirates are to the cave itself; worst case scenario, collapsing the whole damn thing might be the best way to take out that serpent.

"Yarr, I ain't gonna be sentimental about it," says Mangobeard. "'Tis--or 'twas--the best way in or outta Threeroads, though."

"Straight through underground," Sheila adds.

Hemingway nods. "No dealin' with the gate watch, nor those bloody knights makin' the rounds these days. Still, s'no use to us if we can't get through."

You signal to Emerald and Inzo to come through. Inzo... struggles a bit to get his mech through the door, but with some slight maneuvering, he manages to cram his way into the room.

"Big metal crab," Sheila mutters with wide eyes.

"Aye, that does explain a thing or two," the captain adds. "I was startin' to fear ye were th' biggest badass on th' planet, what with takin' that fungus down by yerself an' all."

Hemingway shakes his head. "It really wasn't that dangerous of a monster..."

Emerald squints at the hole the ladder leads into, then throws a glance back to Inzo. "Is... that going to fit going forward? You could hardly squeeze through the door, and it was much larger."

Inzo squints behind his goggles, furrowing his brow at the ladder. "Robot fit. Inzo make work."

Comments:

Jex 29th Jul 2018, 10:38 PM edit delete reply
That would be a very convenient tunnel. Lets see about killing that snake now
Krylo 29th Jul 2018, 10:39 PM edit delete reply
Krylo
Well lets head out, but lets keep an eye on Hemingway with his sneaky fingers that he didn't QUITE admit to having just now but totally does.

Also we should chat up the pirates as we go, as if they use the underground to get in and out of three roads they probably know some stuff about the thieves guild, and we might be able to learn more about it.

Also maybe the disguise ring, that's just in the wild 'somewhere' well traveled pirates might have an idea.
ZincFingers 29th Jul 2018, 10:57 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
We should ask the pirates about the catacombs of Threeroads as well, they may have a better idea if were we can hunt a gargoyle.
Krylo 30th Jul 2018, 12:01 AM edit delete reply
Krylo
Excellent idea, Zinc.
MakePeaceAndLove 30th Jul 2018, 9:56 AM edit delete reply
+1 to all, good ideas Krylo and ZincFingers.
Antarean 30th Jul 2018, 12:19 PM edit delete reply
Nah, I'm sure Hemingway just meant he's better at spanking the monkey. :)
Krylo 29th Jul 2018, 10:42 PM edit delete reply
Krylo
Oh and also, just thought of it, but if it's just anything smaller than us, we should definitely tease Inzo about becoming our familiar.

Like, obviously that won't/shouldn't work, but it'd be fun to mess with him a little.
ZincFingers 29th Jul 2018, 10:55 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
I had the same thought.
You may rule the work Inzo, but you’ll always be our familiar.

Just a second... anything smaller than us can become a familiar... does that include things that may eventually get bigger than us, like say... a cockadoo?
YetiOlwen 29th Jul 2018, 11:00 PM edit delete reply
YetiOlwen
Or Nast could be Valley's familiar...
YetiOlwen 29th Jul 2018, 11:08 PM edit delete reply
YetiOlwen
I'm guessing if it gets to big it would lose familiar status, becoming a party member perhaps. We should keep that in mind if we try to crown any future familiars.
pwzysk 29th Jul 2018, 10:46 PM edit delete reply
So we have a secondary concern now, don't collapse the tunnel. Which, if the serpent really is that big, might be more difficult than it sounds. I doubt we have enough mana to reinforce the whole cave, so ideally we find away to take it out quickly, before it thrashes around too much.
ZincFingers 29th Jul 2018, 11:02 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Clever clever. We might not have to reinforce the whole cave, just key structural points, but still, yeah good call.

If it gets really out of hand, and we want to just let it and be damned if any loot, Deinforce + a few key points on the way out (this is of course a nuclear option).
Twyll 29th Jul 2018, 10:47 PM edit delete reply
Maybe once we're done dealing with the snake, we can see if Hemingway wants to demonstrate his manual dexterity to us~

Idea: if we find a familiar, we should put the crown on it and see if we can end up with a super-familiar.
Krylo 30th Jul 2018, 12:03 AM edit delete reply
Krylo
This is a good idea, but I think we should do some research on familiars before choosing one.

I like the idea of a salamander, because the crown apparently makes them into dragons... but we should probably pick one that'll give Nast a good bonus.
JiggilyJoe 30th Jul 2018, 1:04 AM edit delete reply
JiggilyJoe
+1 to a salamander, but we should look for a book next time we get a chance just to make sure.
YetiOlwen 30th Jul 2018, 1:50 AM edit delete reply
YetiOlwen
We should really make sure our familiar really likes us as well. If it becomes too powerful and isn't too attached to us they might just decide to abandon us. We don't need to accidentally create a rogue dragon that starts terrorizing the locals joust because we were in a hurry to crown something.

We should keep an eye out for any baby birds to save from cats (future roc or Phoenix maybe) or a friendly looking Tingly Toad under attack from a Skelecan (future yoshi or battletoad or Godzilla)
echo 30th Jul 2018, 12:49 AM edit delete reply
If all else fails we can put The Goblobster in our inventory and pull it back out once we're down the ladder. We know it'll work 'cause Inzo's Pyre Plated Invention is already in there.
1977 30th Jul 2018, 1:10 AM edit delete reply
+1
Some Random Guy 30th Jul 2018, 6:39 AM edit delete reply
Oh. I didn't think of this. +1
MakePeaceAndLove 30th Jul 2018, 10:01 AM edit delete reply
+1, cheeky idea, I love it.
Rent 30th Jul 2018, 10:20 AM edit delete reply
+1
Antarean 30th Jul 2018, 12:24 PM edit delete reply
+1
YetiOlwen 30th Jul 2018, 12:53 AM edit delete reply
YetiOlwen
Before we continue further we should ask the pirates about what else is ahead. You know what other kinds of monsters they may have seen, how far till the serpent, if there's any equipment or items ahead that might help in the fight that they might share or lend us.
ZincFingers 30th Jul 2018, 12:59 AM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Fair call that, if they have already been there, then there is little sense in us going in blind.
1977 30th Jul 2018, 1:10 AM edit delete reply
+1
JiggilyJoe 30th Jul 2018, 1:12 AM edit delete reply
JiggilyJoe
So lets head in deeper and look for the snake. Inzo should go first since he's our tank on this run, and we need to make sure he fits down the ladder. Probably Sheila next, followed by Nast so he can chat her up some more.
Not sure about the rest....

I find it interesting that nobody ever seems that concerned that we have a walking talking slime with us...

On the way, let's see if they know any more about the snake, also inquire about the type of things Hemingway can make.
1977 30th Jul 2018, 1:14 AM edit delete reply
Smaller than us, too bad.
That means, unless the pirates are exaggerating the size of the snake, we can't get the snake as our familiar.
:(
HereToHelp 30th Jul 2018, 2:14 AM edit delete reply
If we're going after the snake now, I'll again bring up my idea of letting Sheila borrow grandpas anchor if she can carry it, as she should have some sort of nautical class.
YetiOlwen 30th Jul 2018, 3:29 AM edit delete reply
YetiOlwen
I hesitantly +1 this (for Sheila or Mangobeard whoever wants it or can use it). They are pirates and this is a rare, unique and maybe expensive treasure. Temptation might outweigh reason. After all as mango said, they are more of "lootin'" pirates.

We could suggest a temporary trade of some sort, telling them that we have an old family heirloom that would be more useful to one of them in a fight, but as it's sentimental to us we would like them to loan us something valuable to them.

This gives us a chance borrow something useful to us and gives them a chance to recognize the anchor to show if they may have know or heard of our gramps.
ZincFingers 30th Jul 2018, 6:07 AM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
It’s a good idea to offer a temporary trade of gear, it’ll help cement this is an alliance, and although I honestly don’t see them betraying us, it might help drop those odds further.
MakePeaceAndLove 30th Jul 2018, 10:09 AM edit delete reply
+1 to trading with them, if they're up for it, that could be fun.
Antarean 30th Jul 2018, 12:24 PM edit delete reply
Actually if I recall properly, the hook shot part of the anchor is kinda finicky; Valley had to practice with it to get used to it.
Iago 30th Jul 2018, 12:29 PM edit delete reply
Well, depending on how well our attempt at seducing fairies go, if we end up bonding with one of them in particular, one interested in a more adventurous life, we could see about offering her the opportunity to be our familiar.

Lots of conditions and not gonna happen soon, but that could lead to interesting things.

As of right now, I don't trust them pirates enough to give them anything too valuable. We already solved their frogmonkey problem, we are willing to help with their sea snake problem - for reasons our own, because bypassing the guard to get in town is nice - and that should be enough.
The six (plus one monkey) of us should be able to deal with the beast.
We're quite capable, they look pretty good themselve (wink at Sheila) : Let's do this.

If they aren't willing to all go, insist we need at least one person, as both a proof of goodwill and much needed help.
Have it be Sheila, and use that opportunity to try and recruit her : the two pirates don't feel like they value or respect her much, and she deserves better.
We can lend her a weapon if need be, or armor, but unless she's really open to the idea of joining us, I'd stick with Valley's old Club. That we can afford to lose.
Antarean 30th Jul 2018, 12:44 PM edit delete reply
Wait, didn't Ranse say her ex was a conjurer? It would be an interesting coincidence, but does seem like it might be plausible. We could ask Hemingway if he knows a female alchemist named Ranse, but on the off chance it is him we don't want to antagonize him while we're working with him (I got the impression the relationship didn't end well) or make him suspect that we don't trust him as much (since Ranse said her ex was a jerk). I don't want to upset Ranse by digging up bad memories, but it might be better to ask her through the journal what her ex's name was (and provide a description of Hemingway). If we find out he *is* her ex, we don't want to let on about that, but we probably wouldn't want to be *too* friendly with him.

Also +1 on *not* collapsing the tunnel if possible, having a secret way into Threeroads could be beneficial to us and hopefully the pirates would be okay with us using it after we defeat the snake.