Comic 17 - Attempt to communicate

21st Apr 2018, 1:26 PM in Humble Beginnings at Humblestart
Average Rating: 5 (1 votes) Rate this comic
Attempt to communicate
<<First Latest>>

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 21st Apr 2018, 1:26 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You tell the slimes that you are not here to fight... you just want mushrooms from the nearby forest.

The slimes jiggle a little closer to you.

You start trying to physically mimic them... as best you can with your very unslimely anatomy. The slimes jiggle, and you jiggle back.

"Ummm," Valley pauses, "I like, dig your gusto? But I don't think they can talk. Can you, like, speak slime? Are you speaking slime right now...?"

When the message doesn't seem to be getting through, you start to flail wildly in an attempt to scare them.

The slimes reel in, flattening themselves out...

and then launch themselves forward, bouncing at you with surprising oomph. Valley does her best to hold two of them off--she does seem to avoid going hog wild with swinging the club, though, in case you want to keep trying to communicate.

The one slime you're stuck with doesn't seem open to negotiations, though. Or maybe it does...? Slimes have a really good poker face, as it turns out. It bounces closer and closer to you, making an odd sort of... slapping, warbling sound. You do have a sword, but at the same time, you have only the faintest idea of how to use it and you're really convinced there's a peaceful way to resolve this.

The slime bounces at you again, a short hop but long enough to close the distance. The slime has to have some kind of core, right? Something that governs its... thoughts? Do slimes think?

As the slime launches itself at you, you instinctively shove your hand forward, plunging part of your arm into the creature. The surface of the slime seems harmless, but inside, you can feel a tingling... a very faint burning on your skin where it's not protected by your metal wristband.

You brace yourself, trying to pull your arm back out... but to no avail. You seem quite stuck.

The slime rolls over a bit, lifting your feet from the ground

and then begins to jiggle away from the battlefield, carrying you with it.

You find yourself being kidnapped by a slime. You tug harder, but your arm is in there pretty firmly.

It takes much longer than it probably should for Valley to notice you're being hauled off. "Nast!," she yells. "Like, where are you going?!" She turns and starts to rush after you, but the other two slimes attempt to run interference.

The slime seems to be carrying you to the south. You're... not really sure where it's trying to take you, or if it even knows itself. Or if slimes know anything.

They're slimes.

Behind you, you can hear heavy footsteps as Valley begins to catch up. She might not accelerate very well, but she seems pretty fast when she gets some momentum going. "I'm totally comiiing...!" you can hear her yelling.

Comments:

Twyll 21st Apr 2018, 2:17 PM edit delete reply
Uuuuuuhhh. Well, as long as it's not actively *harming* us, I guess we... go along for the ride? Maybe try to shift to a more comfortable slime-riding position and get our sword out with our other hand (...the uh, the metal one, not our *other* sword) just in case. Then we can ride forth on our noble steed, toward... wherever it's taking us!
Guest 21st Apr 2018, 2:38 PM edit delete reply
I second this.
Earlier they said something about the King Slime. I guess we will ride to either him or maybe the Witch. In both cases sommunication should be better there.
Oh, and I guess we should say something to Valley about our intentions to go along with the ride.
Wolfe 21st Apr 2018, 8:48 PM edit delete reply
+1

But first I say we try relaxing, maybe it's a "chinese finger trap" type situation. Failing that, make ourselves comfortable.