Comic 162 - Head to the stonemason's workshop

2nd Jul 2018, 2:55 PM in High Roads, Low Roads, Threeroads
Average Rating: 5 (1 votes) Rate this comic
Head to the stonemason's workshop
<<First Latest>>

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 2nd Jul 2018, 2:55 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
Justice retrieves her elemental, and begins to bottle some of the water from the fountain. While sitting in water doesn't seem to make the elemental any larger, it DOES keep it from diminishing any--it automatically absorbs water to replace its own, instead of leaving moisture around everywhere. In short, water heals the holy water elemental, replacing any water it's lost. For the same reason, it doesn't have an 'expiration timer' of any sort while exposed to water--its mass is no longer dwindling.

The water used to heal the elemental can be normal water, and doesn't have to be blessed. The holy element appears to generate naturally from the elemental's essence--it's not a tangible property with a limited quantity. Any water exposed to the elemental becomes holy water; the creature never 'spends' its holiness the way it does its water.

"Are you guys picky about, like, what the panties are made of?," Valley asks.

"Not really," says a fairy.

"Maybe? Prob'ly not," adds another.

"I dunno. Nah?," replies a third.

"We don't do much shopping," a fairy finally confirms. "It's hard to be picky when no one sells our size!"

"From whom would you NORMALLY procure undergarments from?," Lagrand asks, tearing his gaze from the seed.

"There's a traveling merchant!," replies a fairy.

"He comes through the woods sometimes! Well, once in a while."

"He's a satyr!"

"The panties don't have to be from him, though."

"As long as they're cute."

Justice acquires three bottles of holy water. As she stows the bottles away, she looks up at the fairies. "Speaking of visitors... has an elven woman come through here, by any chance?"

"A dark elf!," says a fairy.

"With weird glasses," adds another.

"She asked a buuunch of questions."

"Dunno where she went after that!"

"So Delmora's totally been by," remarks Valley. "Had to've hit up like, Humblestart too, right?"

"Perhaps she has come to her senses, now that she has more information," Justice replies.

"Maybe?," says Valley. "Like, hopefully."

The group thanks the fairies, and heads off toward the clearing that the fairies had pointed out. Along the way, Lagrand continues his idle fascination with the mandragora seed.

"Can you like... actually use that?" Valley asks.

"I believe I very well could," Lagrand replies. "My spell casting is limited to aspects of the wood--trees, grass, the flowers. Mandragora are monstrous plants... and yet, they are plants, nonetheless. Possessing a seed grants me a unique opportunity to study their magical machinations in development--to witness the birth of the power they possess. Unfortunately, to learn from the process of growth that growth must be had... and for such a thing to grow, it must be cultivated."

Lagrand casts Brambling Hand, his open palm turning into a series of thorny brambles. He wraps the seed in them, encasing it... and then slowly transforms his hand back into a normal, human hand. The seed is gone, having been apparently absorbed into his body.

"Is... that safe?," Justice asks.

"Yeah," Valley starts, raising a thin eyebrow, "a plant monster won't, like, totally grow out of you, right?"

Lagrand smiles, throwing his arms wide in an almost shrug. "The worst that could happen is that I learn nothing."


Valley, Justice, Lagrand, and the new water elemental arrive at what definitely LOOKS like an abandoned stonemason's workshop.

Standing out in front of it are two... piles of stone, it looks like, albeit very animated for stacks of debris. Small pebbles float about in the air around the short entities.


image


"Are they more elementals...?," Justice asks.

"Golems, maybe?," Valley adds.

"Perhaps neither answer is a wrong one," Lagrand states. "They do not look intentional--and there is a great deal of magic flowing through the veins of these woods. The same mystical forces that saturate the air, giving us furious mushrooms and massive monkings, may have stirred the ancient feelings left to simmer upon these unused stones."

Regardless of their origins, the stone piles have fairly defensive body language--their attention (if such can be gauged) locking on the party, the accidental golems stepping forward to block off the front door of the workshop.

Comments:

Jex 2nd Jul 2018, 3:38 PM edit delete reply
Try to enter the workshop. If the stone golems don't let us pass use force.
ZincFingers 2nd Jul 2018, 3:43 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Yeah, something tells me they are not going to be willing to negotiate.

So if it comes to it, have Valley crush one with the anchor. Lagrand can entangle the second, until such a time Valley is ready to crush it as well.
Boaring machine 2nd Jul 2018, 6:00 PM edit delete reply
If they prove difficult valley equipped with the stone shield might be able to plow them away from the door while the others enter riot-squad style
ourss96 2nd Jul 2018, 6:04 PM edit delete reply
ourss96
Can we try to flash them the Stone Zwei that Valley has to see if the new constructs recognize it as "familiar". Hoping they'd recognize us as members of their fraternity if we already have a stone weapon that other members wield.
Z 2nd Jul 2018, 6:06 PM edit delete reply
Sandshark-bramblehand combo? Valley bursts out under a golem the brambles follow under, grab a gollem and sink them in the ground on retract. Hope their lack of actual leveaged limbs mean they cant dig themselves out
MakePeaceAndLove 2nd Jul 2018, 11:12 PM edit delete reply
+1 from me, and I like the plan of action ZincFingers suggests.
G. Sansa 2nd Jul 2018, 3:40 PM edit delete reply
So, the challenge is to get past these ... whatevers. Options: combat, negotiation, or other (distraction, neutralization, etc.)

I'd say that we should try negotiation, but be open to combat if it doesn't work. The main goal is to use this initial challenge to learn what we're up against.

Send LB forward, not to enter the workshop, but to touch them and see if communication can be established.

If it comes to combat, Valley will be doing most of the work. Justice should focus on healing Valley, while Lagrand should try to fence them away from the door using brambling hand.
G. Sansa 2nd Jul 2018, 3:42 PM edit delete reply
Valley should ask Lagrand if he thinks hitting them directly, not indirectly, with Earthbreaker will work. That is, touching her foot to them.
Sanityfaerie 2nd Jul 2018, 11:01 PM edit delete reply
+1 on "even if we're pretty sure negotiation won't work, we should try it anyway."
Krylo 2nd Jul 2018, 3:40 PM edit delete reply
Krylo
A pair of unintentional stone constructs, huh? Unlikely to be intelligent, or negotiable so I guess it's a fight.

Well, they're probably somewhat resistant to most physical damage, and likely aren't weak to water or holy.

Let's have Lagrand grab one with brambling hands, and Valley can use grandpa's anchor chain to try and tie up the other.

Once they're grappled we can pitch them off into the woods or break them down at our leisure.
Pseudophibian 2nd Jul 2018, 6:09 PM edit delete reply
+1 to relocating and restricting the golems, rather than trying to destroy them outright. However, I think this would be a good time to test the efficacy of water against stone enemies. The lore page for the coral shard seems to imply that stone/earth opponents would be susceptible to water.
Green Visitor 2nd Jul 2018, 7:50 PM edit delete reply
Whatever we do, don't scissor them.

Sheets beats rock, throw a towel or some cloth on them. Yellow enchantery soaked in holy water should do the trick?
Caydenite 2nd Jul 2018, 3:43 PM edit delete reply
Ok, when we inevitably try diplomacy and it fails, lets try fighting from mid range, with Valley using the anchor chain to strike, and trying to knock them back when they get close. Could Lagrand pick one up with bramble hand and swing it into things like a flail? Preferably it little mate, but just trees and ground would do; I doubt they are too susceptible to piercing attacks. Justice's hammer is for mining, so it should be of some use against stone dudes, but there no sense having her wade in to melee unnecessarily.
G. Sansa 2nd Jul 2018, 3:44 PM edit delete reply
Would salt water heal LB?
1977 2nd Jul 2018, 4:18 PM edit delete reply
As I understood it any water is good, saltwater or swampwater or fresh water from a river or a well shouldn't matter.
Remember Avatar - The Last Airbender?
Waterbending was possible with sweat and even blood.
So the more interesting question is can that be used here as well?
Can sweat replenish our elemental?
Can the blood of our enemies be used?
Is it secretly a vampire elemental?
ZincFingers 2nd Jul 2018, 4:38 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Maybe not all water, if things in this universe can be “holy” then there most likely is some opposite, an “unholy”.
I think if both of those waters met, they would cancel each other out and you’d end up with a puddle of mundane water.
Eyebrows 2nd Jul 2018, 3:45 PM edit delete reply
Toss the anchor into one of them and have the water golem jet into the other while Lagrand holds it still.
GuyIncognito 2nd Jul 2018, 3:58 PM edit delete reply
GuyIncognito
Have valley grab one and sandshark into the ground. While under, she lets go of it, leaving it trapped. Worst case scenario: this make the golemental stronger. But hey, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Safer method? Use the anchor from a distance to bash the golementals to pieces. If they try to get close, lagrand can bramble hand them to keep them still.
Some Random Guy 2nd Jul 2018, 4:02 PM edit delete reply
Oh, I didn't think Valley could pull others down with her.

Good idea.
ZincFingers 2nd Jul 2018, 3:58 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
So, tangent topic -
What sort of underwear do we want to get for the fairies? They said so long as it is cute, but that is rather open to interpretation.
Do we for simple but elegant?
Or something more hedonistic?
I’d say the second.
Caydenite 2nd Jul 2018, 4:03 PM edit delete reply
Cheapest available that isn't utter crap.
Some Random Guy 2nd Jul 2018, 4:08 PM edit delete reply
+1 to Caydenite; it should be easy to get, but still of acceptable quality.
Dragos 2nd Jul 2018, 4:09 PM edit delete reply
i vote something nice and silky, it'll make them happy ;)
ZincFingers 2nd Jul 2018, 4:20 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Silks good.

And a thought occurs, we need to ask Ranse about shrinking potions, how easy are they to make.
The way I see it the cost of material for such small garments should be negligible, the cost will be in the time and care it takes to produce.
If we have easy access to shrinking potions, place an order with our tailor of choice and give them a potion.
Cost of materials stays the same, cost of labor and time, hopefully, decreases.
1977 2nd Jul 2018, 4:28 PM edit delete reply
I assume you meant the sort of panty, not the material?
According to wikipedia we have Briefs, Hipster, Bikini, Boyshorts, Tanga, Thong and G-String.
G-String in fairysize would be the ultimate challenge for the tailor.
I say let them make a variety of all of them in different materials as well.
We can even provide some material ourselves(Quick inventory check says Animal Fur x 6).
ZincFingers 2nd Jul 2018, 4:34 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Tailors charged for the material they use. Providing our own would further drop the price, one would hope. The type of underwear we choose to go for only determines the time/care required to make it.

I agree on trying to get them a range to choose from, it’s quite a large group of fairies, they can’t all have identical tastes.
Green Visitor 2nd Jul 2018, 7:47 PM edit delete reply
How 'bout c-strings? (Wikipedia:thong) I'm sure providing underwear for the fairies possibly could be a least as "creepo" as the theft was to begin with.
Krylo 2nd Jul 2018, 5:24 PM edit delete reply
Krylo
I vote we get them leather and lace. Maybe some bondage straps.
ZincFingers 2nd Jul 2018, 5:42 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
I had the same thought Krylo, just not sure how the fairies would react, and they are not pleasant to be around when angry. We could float the idea by them, see what the say, and take it from there.

Edit: If we did get them bondage gear it would definitely make it harder for the thief should they return... unless they steal through magical means.
Caydenite 2nd Jul 2018, 6:21 PM edit delete reply
+1 to leather bondage ware, bondage fairies have a special place in my... lets go with 'heart'.

-1 to lace though, as it tends to get more expensive the finer and more delicate the lacing.
Caydenite 2nd Jul 2018, 7:23 PM edit delete reply
See if we can get 'em some boots too.

Fairies were boots, doncha know.
Guest 2nd Jul 2018, 7:26 PM edit delete reply
*wear, obviously. I should go to bed.
Green Visitor 2nd Jul 2018, 7:55 PM edit delete reply
@Caydenite
Yeahm fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me
MakePeaceAndLove 2nd Jul 2018, 11:35 PM edit delete reply
I also agree we should go for some variety so the faeries have more to choose from. And if possible let's look for the material they could use.

Would a shrinking potion work on items though, in this case panties? We can look into its ingredients anyway though, so we have more than one for our one-time meeting.
MakePeaceAndLove 2nd Jul 2018, 11:40 PM edit delete reply
Also +1 to the bondage gear because of bondage faeries, I get that reference.
Some Random Guy 2nd Jul 2018, 4:01 PM edit delete reply
Try to communicate with them, and to figure out why they are in front of the door. If that doesn't work, send out Valley and Lagrand to bust them down.

Valley can rush one with the Anchor+, while Lagrand can use his vines on the other one. Valley's Sandshark could also be a good option, but Lagrand's wooden spears may not be helpful. Have Justice on support, ready to Heal or Status Martyr.
1977 2nd Jul 2018, 4:06 PM edit delete reply
Knowing the stonemasons name would be good, I think.
It's hard to say if these guards were placed from the mason or got there recently like Lagrand said.
Intentional or not we tried negotiating with the skeletons assuming they would let us pass just because it was the tomb of our grandpa only to have to fight them anyways as a test of strength given from our grandpa.
Let's assume this is a test as well and start fighting them.
I guess brambling hands is very effective against them in the same way treeroots can destroy old stonewalls by growing in them.
By the same logic water is effective as well.
Not to forget Justice's hammer is specifically made to crush stones.
In short, this party is perfect to fight against them, they should stand no chance.
ZincFingers 2nd Jul 2018, 4:16 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
And Valley still has her studded club, and stone zwie in the inventory, both of which are crushing weapons.
Tech 2nd Jul 2018, 5:36 PM edit delete reply
Maybe the Stone Golementals can be placated? Ever try to break stone with wood? The rock tends to win 9 times/10...
Caydenite 2nd Jul 2018, 7:41 PM edit delete reply
True, but we also have heavy objects that concentrate weight on a metal point...
JiggilyJoe 2nd Jul 2018, 6:27 PM edit delete reply
JiggilyJoe
A Satyr? That could be interesting... ;)
Antarean 2nd Jul 2018, 7:47 PM edit delete reply
+1 to Valley showing them the stone zwei, and the stone shield if she's strong enough to lift both of them at once. Explain that you're there to learn about the craftsman that made them. Lagrand might also know the craftsman's name which could be useful.

I like Lagrand's attitude towards the mandragora seed. :P "Yes, a monster *might* grow out of me, but that's better than not learning anything."
Vilem 2nd Jul 2018, 8:43 PM edit delete reply
+1 Show them the stone shield and broken zwei and try to communicate we are here to get help repairing the stone items and honor the stone mason.
TerraNova 2nd Jul 2018, 10:11 PM edit delete reply
Request permission to "See the smith" about repairing the sword and shield. If the elementals are defending the place for the smith, in spite of the years gone by, instead of because this is where they came into existence and are defending their 'nest' of sorts, we might be able to get in by expressing our desire for business as customers.