Comic 155 - Equip the bunny outfit

27th Jun 2018, 3:03 PM in High Roads, Low Roads, Threeroads
Average Rating: 5 (1 votes) Rate this comic
Equip the bunny outfit
<<First Latest>>

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 27th Jun 2018, 3:03 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You decide that if SOMEONE has to try this thing on, it might as well be you.

You equip the bunny outfit.

Ranse's face slowly lights up in a wide, almost sinister looking grin. While she normally can't keep her gaze steady, her eyes are now pretty blatantly focused on... uh... your...

the way the attire emphasizes key parts.

The King Slime doesn't seem to know what to make of the outfit, alternating between a narrow-gazed squint and a bemused near smile.

You start to say something, but Ranse cuts you off.

"N-Noit'sperfect," she blurts out. "Keep it. It's... t-the best. Statistically. F-for... combat reasons."

Emerald squints harder. "I strongly disagree; this outfit is clearly less covering than what--"

"Shhhh." Ranse holds up a finger at Emerald Scholar, but never breaks her bold gaze. Her eyes do wander from your junk, at least, scaling your body before taking another full stare at your package. "Sh sh sh. T-trust me. It's... I... it'sscience. I'm an alchemist. Trustme."


You gather what was dropped by the rabbits--one poisoned meat, two cooked meats, and one animal fur.


You continue on through the forest.

After a great deal of uneventful walking, you find...

a very large tree,

and a very large caterpillar that appears to have burrowed its way half out of that tree before falling asleep.

image

You can faintly hear the caterpillar snoring.

"D-dad said..." Ranse starts quietly, taking a breath, "the fungus... g-grew on a monster. Those... definitelylooklike. Mushrooms. Growing on that... bug."

Comments:

Krylo 27th Jun 2018, 3:32 PM edit delete reply
Krylo
That outfit is better than I had hoped, and I love Ranse's reaction.

That said, let's very carefully harvest some fungus.

I suggest using wind slash to cut the fungus off at range and then collecting it from the ground.
G. Sansa 27th Jun 2018, 3:37 PM edit delete reply
Better in a graphic sense. But um, not in the sense of having any use as a disguise. Which is too bad.

I still think that "little bunny foo-foo" for EG entry should be on the mid-term plan.
Sonico 27th Jun 2018, 9:45 PM edit delete reply
What, do you think anyone will actually look at his face while dressed like that? :D
ZincFingers 27th Jun 2018, 3:38 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Exactly the method I was going to (and did) suggest.
GuyIncognito 27th Jun 2018, 3:54 PM edit delete reply
GuyIncognito
+1, however be ready for a fight, and consider sending in Emmy to paralyze the thing before it wakes up first. Details in my comment below. ;)
MakePeaceAndLove 27th Jun 2018, 3:55 PM edit delete reply
Indeed, that outfit is awesome on boy Nast, and Ranse's reaction is just what I had hoped for. OvO Wearing it was the right choice.

I'd prefer if we walked there to pick it by hand. We run the risk that we'll wake it up approaching and touching it, but I at least hope that touching that way we're less likely to hurt it than we are throwing a Wind Slash at it - and it was a pretty powerful attack, after all.

It's not that I think we couldn't win this fight - but the catterpillar is asleep, and I just... I wouldn't want to hurt it unless we need to defend ourselves. All we want is the ingredient, then we can get out of here.

........ and speaking of touching it - think that Emmy could stretch a consectacle far enough to gather the ingredient while staying at a safe distance from it?
GS 27th Jun 2018, 3:59 PM edit delete reply
Wind slash to cut the fungus free, consentacles to collect it.

All done from a safe distance... and then we RUN.
G. Sansa 27th Jun 2018, 3:33 PM edit delete reply
Best outcome? Slice off a bit of shroom, grab it, and cast "return" to Tumbletart ASAP.

I doubt it will work but it's worth a try.

Yes, we can probably take this fight. And it's probably morally justifiable if we knew more. But we aren't sure, and we don't know more. Discretion is the better part, etc.
ZincFingers 27th Jun 2018, 3:35 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Carefully cut off some fungus using wind slices, have Emerald retrieve them from a distance with tentacles.

I’d rather avoid waking the caterpillar, unless we find definitive proof it is docile / peaceful.
GuyIncognito 27th Jun 2018, 3:52 PM edit delete reply
GuyIncognito
+1 on the plan, however, we need to be ready for a fight. After all, "Those... definitelylooklike. Mushrooms.", that's not a 100% guarantee they are mushrooms. They could be caterpillar gametes. We need to have ranse and Nast check them out to be 100% sure after we obtain them. And if they are sensitive bits, we should be prepared for violent retaliation from the caterpillar. Have Ranse ready to lay down some suppressing fire.

Alternatively, we could have Emmy walk right up to the sleeping caterpillar and paralyze it, preventing it from attacking while we harvest.
ZincFingers 27th Jun 2018, 4:01 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Nice call on getting paralysing touch ready for if things go sideways.
Gandalf 27th Jun 2018, 4:02 PM edit delete reply
Gandalf
All these suggestions are downright rude. We're contemplating slicing something off a sleeping creature, quite possibly sentient, in the hope (not certainty) that it's not part of said creature and won't do said creature any harm?

This is not who I thought we were.

Wake the caterpillar gently and carefully, and ask nicely. If we want more certainty first, then wait while we get someone to do suitable research (via the journal).
ZincFingers 27th Jun 2018, 4:22 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Someone above suggested having Ranse examine it a bit closer to determine if the mushrooms are in fact part of the caterpillar or merely grow on it.

Although it may be a parasitic, or symbiotic, situation.

Edit: that “someone” was Guy Incognito, credit where it’s due.
Pi Zaltana 27th Jun 2018, 9:53 PM edit delete reply
+1 on paralyzing touch
Guest 27th Jun 2018, 3:56 PM edit delete reply
I agree to letting the catterpillar sleep, and Emmy picking up the fungus from a distance sounds good too.

I'm wary of shooting a Wind Slash at it though. If we miss, then that's a powerful attack that is sure to wake it up. >.>
Cloudy 27th Jun 2018, 3:36 PM edit delete reply
Great suit, A+

We should write to Lagrand and see if he can purify the meat we have in our inventory.
Also ask Inzo if he could put some Gob Juice into the shared inventory.
Guest 27th Jun 2018, 3:55 PM edit delete reply
Sstill think it should've been Ranse.
Gandalf 27th Jun 2018, 4:03 PM edit delete reply
Gandalf
+1 to making sure she gets a turn.
GuyIncognito 27th Jun 2018, 3:56 PM edit delete reply
GuyIncognito
Also, if we're going to teleport back to town, now would be a good time to have Emmy dress up in Nast's purple robes. Don't want to startle the townspeople too badly. I'm not totally sure if Nast's current mouth-handkerchief is the purple robe. If it is, swap it out for some of the animal fur we have in our inventory.
G. Sansa 27th Jun 2018, 4:53 PM edit delete reply
+1
MakePeaceAndLove 27th Jun 2018, 10:54 PM edit delete reply
+1, if only to see how Emmy would look in Nast's purple robe.
GS 27th Jun 2018, 4:04 PM edit delete reply
o_o
...
Somehow, Cardvärde must pay for this... 'suit of armour'.
Gandalf 27th Jun 2018, 4:05 PM edit delete reply
Gandalf
He idolises the archmage of lust. What did we expect?
1977 27th Jun 2018, 4:08 PM edit delete reply
"Trust me. I'm an alchemist."
Normally when you hear words like that it's a good time to test how fast you can run.

Seriously, I'm surprised that the two madhares left cooked meat behind. My guess was more along the lines of ashes.

Carefully harvest the mushroom without waking the caterpillar.
If it wakes up try diplomacy.
Don't be the aggressor here.

Should a fight be unavoidable then I suggest attacking the antenna first with a windslice, cutting it off.
Emmy uses consentaclewhip to touch it with para and acid.
Ranse full power to the pyrespewer.
I prefer avoiding a fight, though.

Sooner or later I hope we get to see all partymembers in the bunny outfit.
I would like to point out that Emerald Scholar technically runs around naked.
ZincFingers 27th Jun 2018, 4:18 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
If we end up fighting I’d suggest, having Ranse and Emerald keep it looking forward whilst Nast goes to the side. I think one or two wind slices could probably behead it.
GuyIncognito 27th Jun 2018, 4:21 PM edit delete reply
GuyIncognito
The problem with diplomacy is: We don't speak monster languages. If it goes down anything like the ant hill, we'll just end up walking away with nothing due to an inability to communicate. Ranse needs to research translation potions if we're going to try to talk to every monster we come across.

However, I'm willing to give diplomacy a try. It robs us of the chance at a combat free opportunity of stealing from a sleeping enemy, but presents us with a chance at a combat free opportunity of making a giant friend. A giant friend + fungus is more valuable than just fungus.
1977 27th Jun 2018, 4:31 PM edit delete reply
Back in the shop they had Language Potion on the shelf.
That's how we were able to speak to the giant spider in the temple.
Don't know if she has the right equipment here, but maybe she can make some right now?
Sonico 27th Jun 2018, 10:22 PM edit delete reply
I think translation might be something better covered by magic, possibly of the enchantment kind, than potions actually, but who knows, certainly worth asking Ranse about...
MakePeaceAndLove 27th Jun 2018, 10:56 PM edit delete reply
You know, the more I think about this the more I'd like us to talk with it, and other monsters we come across. We really need those translation potions, or the right magic - at the very least we should talk to Ranse about it.
V.V.V. 27th Jun 2018, 4:25 PM edit delete reply
I think we should let it sleep if we can, but above all make certain not to harm the poor thing.

Climb up the tree next to one of the mushrooms and prod a 'shroom (gently at first) to make sure it isn't just a part of the caterpillar.

If it's safe climb back down and then very carefully angle the wind wand away from the caterpillar and everyone else before we cut off a mushroom.
MakePeaceAndLove 27th Jun 2018, 10:59 PM edit delete reply
Yeah be very careful about this. And ask Ranse for more details, to be perfectly sure.

I mean, to those who remember their Pokemon entries, if this is a Bug/Grass type like Parasect was, then we'd be basically harvesting its external organs, and there is no way to do that without hurting it... but maybe we're luckier than that and the catterpillar doesn't really want those fungi to grow on its back, so we'd be doing it a favor in removing them, grabbing as many as we can - if only we had a way to know.

..... here's a crazy thought, maybe Emmy can talk to it? It's not a Slime, but... maybe?
GuyIncognito 27th Jun 2018, 4:27 PM edit delete reply
GuyIncognito
I'm just going crazy with the comments on this strip. Just had a brain fart. There's no way that giant caterpillar made that smaller hole on the side of the tree. Be on the lookout for smaller caterpillar minions.
Twelveseal 27th Jun 2018, 6:01 PM edit delete reply
Twelveseal
Actually, I think it probably did make the smaller hole. For one, caterpillars get bigger by eating, and this one's gorged on what looks like a sequoia.

For another, its got mushrooms used in a size altering potion growing out of its back.

I'd worry what the spores might do to us when we harvest them...
MakePeaceAndLove 27th Jun 2018, 11:01 PM edit delete reply
Both good points, GuyIncognito and Twelveseal.

Let's try not to get hit with the spores then.

Hey... do you suppose it got stuck in that tree? And now it can't withdraw or push onward? And tired itself out till it fell asleep? ... man we really need to know more to respond to this situation.
K3001 27th Jun 2018, 4:33 PM edit delete reply
Can't we just ask for this fungus? It's host is giggling (can't blame it) so it must be intelligent enough to have a sence of humour.
K3001 27th Jun 2018, 4:36 PM edit delete reply
Wait, it's snouring, my mistake...
1977 27th Jun 2018, 4:38 PM edit delete reply
Where does it say it giggles?
It only says the caterpillar is snoring.
JiggilyJoe 27th Jun 2018, 4:56 PM edit delete reply
JiggilyJoe
OMG! That Bunny costume is the shit! I literally laughed out loud when I saw it! I love it! And Rance's reaction is exactly what I expected. I only hope that Nast put her panties on first! LOL

As for the Caterpillar, I vote that we try to make sure those are actual mushrooms first, then we try to wake it up. Emmy is ready to paralyze it just in case.

I have to say though, this isn't the first time I wish we had Justice along with us on this trip. We really need her translation skills on several different occasions.
Gandalf 27th Jun 2018, 5:03 PM edit delete reply
Gandalf
+1.
CruntKnockler 27th Jun 2018, 5:04 PM edit delete reply
Justice can only translate people speak, not monsters, so we'd still be up shit creek if she were here. Otherwise, a solid plan, +1.
JiggilyJoe 27th Jun 2018, 7:20 PM edit delete reply
JiggilyJoe
Ok, I have just been reading through the Discussion section on Discord, and as Morgenstern pointed out, we as a group are way to eager to try and negotiate with every creature we come across. Spider? lets talk. Skellies? Lets Talk. Ants? Lets talk. Giant Caterpillar? Lets talk...
Yeah, we don't need to try to talk or try diplomacy on everything we meet.
So now I say we try to cut off the mushrooms without waking it. If we do wake it, then we battle the sucker!
ZincFingers 27th Jun 2018, 7:35 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
See I was thinking something similar, we won’t be able to talk our way out of every problem, and if we wait until we are in a non-negotiable situation we might not be strong enough to survive it.
MakePeaceAndLove 27th Jun 2018, 11:04 PM edit delete reply
We definitely can't talk our way out of every problem out there, but I'm still hoping we can do it as often as possible.

If only we also had a party member that can speak with all varieties of monsters to round out Justice's language ability we could kind of manage.

The Summoner makes sense with that ability, buuut I think from her struggle with the chicken it's pretty clear she can't communicate with monsters, sadly.
Barswanian 27th Jun 2018, 5:03 PM edit delete reply
We need to make sure the rest of the group sees Nast in this outfit.
MakePeaceAndLove 27th Jun 2018, 11:04 PM edit delete reply
+1
Guest 27th Jun 2018, 5:08 PM edit delete reply
Caterpillars will shed their skin as they get larger. We could quietly inject it with the berserker drug, send it into an eating frenzy (with us staying out the way) and collect the skin with the mushrooms after it gets bigger.
Korsha 27th Jun 2018, 5:51 PM edit delete reply
+1 for the wind slash. We might be able to get the fungus without a fight.
Iago 27th Jun 2018, 7:16 PM edit delete reply
Just Steal.
A catterpillar should not have much else - although who knows, I guess, but still.
Also an opportunity to check if the suit and the bandina synergize as well as could be expected.

Let's try to not start fight here.
We do not have the best party to deal with whatever toxic mess that would likely turn into. And I kinda want to see the kind of butterfly that would come out of that leviathan - about as much as I'm worried about the idea.

Anyways. Nice suit.
We're wearing Ranse's underwear, it seems only fair she at least models the bunny outfit for us at some point. Her ass in it has to be quite a sight. Point that out.
Try to use that opportunity to teach King the very human(oid) concept of sexiness. If only as a first step towards understanding the appeal of recreational fucking.
ZincFingers 27th Jun 2018, 7:33 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
The only problem with that is that the Bandana Lore specifically states that it can steal things the target has no reason to have. For all we know pickpocketing the caterpillar could give us a faux royal signet ring.
Krylo 27th Jun 2018, 8:33 PM edit delete reply
Krylo
Still, may as well use the bandana on the way out.
ZincFingers 27th Jun 2018, 9:47 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Oh, yeah, I’m all for a bit of light fingered redistribution of wealth, just, we shouldn’t bank on it netting us something directly quest related, or even related to the target.
Cloudy 27th Jun 2018, 8:39 PM edit delete reply
The way it’s seemed to work in the story though is it seems to take what they have that isn’t equipped. Didn’t we get a skull from the skelecan? Just not one it was wearing.
ZincFingers 27th Jun 2018, 11:50 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
We got the Skull Helm (or whatever it’s called) from the Skelecan.
Green Visitor 27th Jun 2018, 8:52 PM edit delete reply
+1 to Nast stealing. The thing is sleeping after all.

Ranse examine/cut the mushroom. They are up in the air, slightly out of reach. This is a perfect situation to give Ranse a lift with the consentacles!

Worst case caterpillar wakes and we learn if flying poisonous lucky kick and paralyzing tentacles works on all sizes of creatures. Ranse could rodeo it.

Will be fun, nothing could conceivably go wrong :-D
MakePeaceAndLove 27th Jun 2018, 11:06 PM edit delete reply
+1 to trying to steal first, that is a genius idea.
Antarean 27th Jun 2018, 9:12 PM edit delete reply
Who needs a George Foreman grill when you have pyrestorm?

Also, I vote we attempt at wake up the caterpillar before we attempt to attack it or steal from it. Larger creatures seem like they might be more likely to be intelligent and capable of communication.
Some Random Guy 27th Jun 2018, 9:20 PM edit delete reply
That's okay, but if it eats us, we Poison it.
Some Random Guy 27th Jun 2018, 9:19 PM edit delete reply
This does not have anything to do with out current task, but we should also preferably take off the bunny outfit.

We've had a good laugh first, but it would be of better use on Emerald Scholar or Ranse, seeing as one is the lowest leveled in the group and the other does not have many offensive options (knives, Pyrespewer).

EDIT: Actually, the Rabbit Kick could combine nicely with our Poison (as others have said) but by that logic, it could also work with Emmy, as she has Acid and Para Touch moves.
Barswanian 28th Jun 2018, 12:12 AM edit delete reply
The extra luck + jnsq has potential to really free us in moving around town.
Tech 27th Jun 2018, 9:42 PM edit delete reply
*facepalm*
Some Random Guy 27th Jun 2018, 9:44 PM edit delete reply
facepalm indeed