Comic 120 - Go home and rest

7th Jun 2018, 4:58 PM in High Roads, Low Roads, Threeroads
Average Rating: 5 (1 votes) Rate this comic
Go home and rest
<<First Latest>>

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 7th Jun 2018, 4:58 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You wander over and pick up the broken head from Nereus's spear. You acquire sharp coral.

You apologize to the (slightly worried, and confused) people living in that house, and tell them you'll do something about their broken door tomorrow.

You compliment Valley and Justice on their work--that was a tough fight, but the party pulled it off. Justice touches you with her Healing Hands, and... rather thoroughly, at that--cupping your face warmly with both hands for a moment as she stares into your eyes, smiling. Her hands slowly drag their way downward, to your chest... where they rest for a few seconds before she withdraws.

Sadly, it doesn't do much for your drained mana, or general exhaustion--though it does ease the soreness quite a bit.

As your group starts to head back to your parents' house, you ask Justice what she said to Nereus, when she spoke in sahagin. Whatever it was, it seemed to get a reaction out of him.

"I..." Justice hesitates, just a little. "I told him you are not the thief. ...That I am a holy cleric, and he should trust me when I say you are a good man."

Your parents seem to have already gone to bed by the time you return. ...Probably for the best. Valley takes the couch, as she suggested; though you did reinforce it before you left town originally, her weight wearily flopping onto it still elicits a creaking sound.

You and Justice head to your old bedroom. You're both... fairly quiet, both on the way there, and on arrival. It feels like neither of you know how to approach this; while you've had your share of sexual escapades thus far, Justice is... well, a cleric, and a little more restrained than Ranse or Valley (or even Lagrand).

Justice does seem more... bashful? Reserved? Her smile is a different one than usual, a faint blush coming and going as she almost gathers the will to say something... but doesn't quite get there.

You sit down on the bed, and she sits next to you.

Honestly, you're not sure you could get down and dirty tonight if you tried. Today has been utterly exhausting, with multiple fights that caught you completely off guard. Your party held their own, and you came out the victor... but this was just, what? A bird, and some toads? One bounty hunter, working alone? They weren't a huge deal, in the big scheme of things, but they pushed you and your allies to your limits.

What'll you do if the king's own knights corner you? You keep pondering the identity of your impersonator... but what will you do when you FIND them? How powerful are they? Are you ready to catch the thief?

Your concerns about the future fade away as Justice reaches to you, running a hand through your hair. Slowly, she guides you over, your head coming to rest in her lap. She starts to hum something... a lullaby, almost, but it soon turns to soft singing in what sounds like elven.

Your shut your eyes... and slowly fall asleep.


Nast leveled up! Nast reached level 5! Learned adventuring can be serious business.

Valley leveled up! Valley reached level 7! Learned lactating is like, way funner than it sounds?

Justice leveled up! Justice reached level 5! Learned that boys turning into girls, then back into boys, makes her feel things. Thiiings.






MEANWHILE, deep in the WITCH'S WOODS

image

Lagrand heaves a dramatic sigh. "How many does this make? How many of these impetuous chimps have we slain thus far?" He gives the most nonchalant of waves, barely even looking at where he's pointing his finger. Wooden needles manifest in the air, propelling straight at a small group of monkeys.

"Inzo is... not so great at countings," admits the goblin, as he steers his mech to punch a monkey. It sends the small animal flying through the air.

"And I. S-stopped caring," adds Ranse. "Toomanymonkeys."

Lagrand flips his hair aside. "I would voice my concerns about their diminishing populace... but they don't seem to slow down, do they?"

Indeed, more monkeys come scampering across the grass and tumbling out of the trees almost as fast as the party can knock them out. The monkeys aggressively attempt to attack, despite their clear inability to keep up in combat.

"I'm..." Ranse takes a deep breath, letting out another burst of her pyrespewer. "S-starting to think. Dad was fed. Some nonsense. I'm not... seeing any monking."

Inzo throws a hard punch at one of the newer monkeys to arrive--but it doesn't go soaring through the air, like the last long line of them. Rather, it slides back across the ground before skidding to a stop. ...And then its eyes roll back into its head, a surprisingly deep growl emanating from the very small monkey.

"Guys?," Inzo remarks. "Inzo found weird monkey maybe."

With a roar that echoes through the woods--and sends birds scattering wildly in all directions--the monkey suddenly...

increases in size.


Dramatically.


...And conjures a crown, somehow.


image


"Th-that. That." Ranse's eyes widen behind her glasses. It takes her a second to find the words. "That is. A big monkey."

"Indeed it is," Lagrand agrees, his tone scarcely fluctuating. "Indeed... it... is."

Comments:

K3001 7th Jun 2018, 6:25 PM edit delete reply
Inzo, try to get this big guy into armwrestling with your mech. The rest, attack it while it's busy and protect Inzo's mech from other monkeys.
Krylo 7th Jun 2018, 6:26 PM edit delete reply
Ranse can take out the two monkeys to the back with fire, while Lagrand uses brambles to try to hold the Monking down while Inzo pummels it.
G. Sansa 7th Jun 2018, 6:34 PM edit delete reply
Hit hard. Don't use potions and stuff.

Inzo: punch king.

Lagrand: see if you can entangle then cut off his tail? That's the only part we need. Keep shooting spears as you try to get behind him.

Ranse: kill little guys then attack big guy.
G. Sansa 7th Jun 2018, 7:25 PM edit delete reply
No wait wait wait. Inzo's gotta be super careful he doesn't just get grabbed out of his mech. That would be really bad, and dude has the reach to do it.

Can Lagrand like, get on top of the mech? Dramatically and all? So that he protects Inzo, and can bramble grab the mech as necessary to hold on?

Or anyway, Lagrand draws its attention with Drama somehow. And Inzo tries to attack but stays really careful about it. And Ranse on little monkey duty.
V.V.V. 7th Jun 2018, 7:47 PM edit delete reply
+1

Inzo needs to stay out of the way of the monking's arms.

And its tail. That shit's prehensile.
MakePeaceAndLove 7th Jun 2018, 10:35 PM edit delete reply
+1 for Inzo to be careful there. Maybe even fight defensively and block the Monking from getting to the others.

I know he's tiny in that mech and at risk of getting grabbed, but Lagrand jumping in there himself probably won't help us out - your casters shouldn't jump in front of the tank like that.

Also, we just saw how the little monkeys keep coming as we kill them. I have a feeling they'll continue endlessly, so if Ranse scorching these monkeys finds out more arrive right away, I say she should turn around and help with the Monking.

IF, on the other hand, more monkeys arrive whether we kill them or not, then she would need to keep burning them, so their numbers advantage doesn't grow overwhelming.
G. Sansa 7th Jun 2018, 6:39 PM edit delete reply
Justice is cute. But I hope she takes the ring off at some point so she can get some sleep.
ZincFingers 7th Jun 2018, 8:49 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Yeah, Justice is super cute. I forgot the ring removed the need for sleep, not just block the status effect. Although maybe the user can sleep should they choose to.
MakePeaceAndLove 7th Jun 2018, 10:36 PM edit delete reply
She can probably just remove it whenever. I hope she does, though, she deserves some sleep too.

+1 about her cuteness, I agree fully.
Guest 7th Jun 2018, 7:35 PM edit delete reply
Does Justice want us to go futanari?
Sonico 7th Jun 2018, 7:55 PM edit delete reply
Don't know, maybe she's awakening some inner bisexual or some sort of transformation fetish. your guess is as good as mine.
Barswanian 7th Jun 2018, 9:39 PM edit delete reply
My guess is that her time with the all female clerics was her coming into her sexual awareness. Nast's changes while she's know him, plus the je ne sais quoi, has that all mixed up now.
MakePeaceAndLove 7th Jun 2018, 10:40 PM edit delete reply
I'm thinking that Justice didn't know about the disguise potions and how they work until she met us. If she's only ever found a liking for girls, then she simply saw that Nast looks nice as a girl, but still looks nice going back to a guy. And so Nast is the first man she's developed feelings for. Feeeeelings.

Also, does that mean Justice is still a virgin? And would be giving up her virginity? I say we need to at least ask her in the morning before we get lost in the heat of the moment. Earlier she said she's 'fine with this arrangement' so I honestly think she already wants it, she's just shy to ask for it openly, but if Nast asks she can agree in return.
Twelveseal 7th Jun 2018, 7:38 PM edit delete reply
Time for some monkey business. Judging from the way the scene is worded, I don't think we can just clear out the little monkeys. We may need to set someone to try and run interference. Maybe have Lagrand using his spears for that, with Inzo tanking the king and Ranse roasting him.
Guy Incognito 7th Jun 2018, 8:01 PM edit delete reply
Ignore the smaller monkeys for now. They're obviously of little threat if the team has been slaughtering them indiscriminately for long enough to be bored of the work. Triple team the Monking. Lagrand should use Brambling hand to hold the Monking in place, while simultaneously launching many Treant Needles at it. Inzo should let loose with a barrage of Gob Lob, which he constantly forgets to use. And Ranse should Pirespew that Monking's Ass. Let's just do damage as fast as we can. Hopefully when that'd done the rest of the Monkey tribe should run off in fear. We'll have what we need from the Monking, along with an awesome crown that may or may not have size transmuting properties.
ZincFingers 7th Jun 2018, 8:12 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Only problem is Brambling Hand is plant based, and if Ranse tries to set the Monking on fire, it might just burn the brambles... unless magic brambles don’t burn.
G. Sansa 7th Jun 2018, 8:21 PM edit delete reply
+1 for Lagrand and Inzo. Lagrand grabs first, so that MK can't block gob lob with arms. Then Inzo just goes crazy with the gob lob straight to the face.

But Ranse? I don't think so. The range on the pirespew isn't good, and little monkeys can make bad mischief. I think she should clear the monkeys out first and that if she's gonna attack MK she has to be careful not to get caught.
MakePeaceAndLove 7th Jun 2018, 10:42 PM edit delete reply
I agree with ZincFingers and G.Sansa

Also, since we're after the tail, try not to BURN that tail as a side-effect.
G Sansa 7th Jun 2018, 8:27 PM edit delete reply
Nice trees, btw.
Caydenite 7th Jun 2018, 8:27 PM edit delete reply
I say we let Ranse keep the little ones away, as her pyrethrower seems perfect for crowd control.

Inzo should try and keep the Monking's attention, seeing as the others are kinda glass cannons. A big, juicy explosion should do the trick.

Lagrand, as our highest level party member, should all out attack the king. Bramble Hand is his best attack, but treant needle lets him keep his distance. If he fired them through the pryethrowers flame, would the be Burning Death Needles, or would they just burn away to Puny Ash Puffs?
Caydenite 7th Jun 2018, 8:33 PM edit delete reply
Oh, and when we wake up, we should try and remember to let Justice know that we're are a very non-judgemental bunch, and encourage her to say whatever might be on her mind. Not pressuring her or anything, just letting her know she can speak freely.
MakePeaceAndLove 7th Jun 2018, 10:45 PM edit delete reply
I like the idea of Burning Death Needles. They'd be a lot like fire arrows you see in all sorts of RPGs, except launched as a whole volley at once. We won't know until we try, I think it's worth one attempt.

+1 to encouraging Justice. I really look forward to her applying what she's learned today. XD
GS 7th Jun 2018, 11:49 PM edit delete reply
You want her to hit us with a hammer?
Kinky... ;)
Alex Nipal 7th Jun 2018, 8:36 PM edit delete reply
I don't see how we can end this peacefully. The monkeys are harassing us, I assume they attacked first and they can be killed without remorses.

It's time to unleash our murder hobo instincts.

Lagrand: Disguise as a tree and wait to strike the Monking. The monkeys are dumb enough to launch themselves at the adventurers, the Monking should fall for it.

Inzo: Toss gob juice at the Monking until he moves to fight you then hit it. Move back around Lagrand to set up his attack.

Ranse: Fight the monkeys. Stay away from the Monking and its predicted path. Be preapared to make a Health Concoction if someone gets hurt.
Some Random Guy 7th Jun 2018, 8:51 PM edit delete reply
+1 to Lagrand and Ranse. Inzo's role, however, confuses me in this situation, as he could be plucked out of his roofless mech if not careful.

Fire scares animals. If Ranse finishes with the mook monkeys, send her after the big monkey, or make her craft a healing potion in advance.
Caydenite 7th Jun 2018, 10:22 PM edit delete reply
I don't think we'll be able to keep our tank out of arms reach of the boss; that monkey's gonna melee and its probably best if its target is wearing more than a billowy clock or a short skirt. But yeah, we should get him to make a harness or something in future. For now, let's just hope its not smart enough to realise the goblin and the mech are separate entities that can be detached.
Some Random Guy 7th Jun 2018, 8:53 PM edit delete reply
Also, this isn't important, but that king monkey is FUGLY.
Malikat 7th Jun 2018, 8:55 PM edit delete reply
Can we take a little monkey hostage?
MakePeaceAndLove 7th Jun 2018, 10:47 PM edit delete reply
I doubt they would care.

And in the event, though unlikely given their rarity, that the monkey we take hostage ROARS AND GROWS we'd become the hostage instead.

I really hope it's just one Monking for this fight.
Alex Nipal 7th Jun 2018, 9:06 PM edit delete reply
For Nast's party, lets ask our dad to fix the door and leave town ASAP. Nast should stay clear of towns for a while, but we could still send other characters to towns when we need to. The Slime Cave can be our hideout. If the slimes can watch out for bounty hunters that's a plus. We could also head to the Witch Woods to hide in Lagrand's domain.

Is there a God's decree that prevent Nast from leaving the main party?

Justice seems to like girls and to be warming up to us. When we get the chance to get friendly with her, lets service with her with our hands and mouth. Wait for her to include our dick if she wants to.
MakePeaceAndLove 7th Jun 2018, 10:52 PM edit delete reply
I think we don't have to rush so much. Nereus said he was hunting us alone. There might be more out there, but we can't run from what we can't see/don't know is there.

I say in the morning we start from sexy times with Justice, being gentle with her but taking initiative if she's too shy to take the lead with us. Then we go fishing with dad - the fish bite best early morning. Then we come back to fix up the door? And see if we can help out mom with her duties, spend some time with her too. We didn't actually stay for dinner or wash the dishes as we went patroling, didn't we?

Then after all that, we can check out the mines up North too, or say goodbye and go towards the Witch's Woods to meet up with our secondary party.

I really think Nast can relax for one day after the bounty hunter attack. No need to get paranoid - more will come, but you can't let that threat disorganize our lives so much.
Guest 7th Jun 2018, 11:06 PM edit delete reply
This looks like a job for Yajirobe.
Green Visitor 8th Jun 2018, 12:28 PM edit delete reply
+1

Although Puar would be better, she could transform into giant scissors and cut the tail off.
Green Visitor 8th Jun 2018, 12:29 PM edit delete reply
+1
Althpogh Puar would be better. Giant scissors anyone?
CruntKnockler 8th Jun 2018, 3:59 AM edit delete reply
Do we get any day on what goes on in the Monking fight? Because Nast is the PC and he's not there, or is this one of those side quests where you switch characters?
CruntKnockler 8th Jun 2018, 3:59 AM edit delete reply
*say
Jochi 8th Jun 2018, 7:18 AM edit delete reply
Really? Y'all wanted to talk to SLIMES and nobody wants to at least attempt to parley with the Monking? I say have Lagrand shout, "Stand down, Monking, and spare your people." Then continue with the fire lances if he attacks and if he stops to talk, bargain. We don't know their culture. They may have saved the hides of his ancestors, and be willing to part with an old tail from some unimportant cadet line to get us to leave.