Comic 103 - Talk to the kuo-toa

28th May 2018, 8:41 PM in High Roads, Low Roads, Threeroads
Average Rating: 5 (1 votes) Rate this comic
Talk to the kuo-toa
<<First Latest>>

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 28th May 2018, 8:41 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You ask Ranse what else she knows about kuo-toas.

"N... N-not much," she whispers. "Th-they're... weird. Pray to old, obscure gods. K-known to... tradewithdarkelves."

You ask Ranse if she could smell the air, see if there's anything weird whipping off this fish. She starts to sniff at the air, stepping forward... but slowly, you find her leaning closer to you.

And then just smelling you, breathing in deep through her nose, and out through her mouth. You put a hand on her shoulder, and bring her back to reality.

You gather up your courage... and you approach the kuo-toa. You keep your distance, remaining cautious but trying to be friendly in your greeting.

The kuo-toa slowly turns to you, and says something in... a language you've never heard before. You can't really read its face, either. You state, politely, that you can't understand it.

The kuo-toa speaks again, but this time it sounds like... elven? You still don't understand it, though.

The kuo-toa pauses, just... staring blankly at you. It then gives a small nod. "Mage eyes," it says very slowly. Its accent is thick, and extremely strange. "But fisher hand."

It reaches down, picking up a spare rod and holding it out to you. You receive the fishing rod.

"Fish. Adventure. Fish adventure."


You suspect the kuo-toa could have a... more nuanced perspective on all this fish adventuring, but communicating's going to be difficult without a translator. Though you don't see any monsters around, the dock isn't exactly protected--you can't change out your party here like you can at a town or at the roadside cathedral. It'll be much later by the time you travel to either of those, as well--holding a deeper conversation with the kuo-toa may be something you have to put off for another night, when you can come back with Justice.

...Or whoever else you can find that speaks elven. Or kuo-toa? Whatever it is they were speaking.

Comments:

Lavitz 28th May 2018, 9:09 PM edit delete reply
Join him in some relaxing fishing
V.V.V. 28th May 2018, 9:17 PM edit delete reply
If Ephraim (think he'd mind being called that?) here thinks we've got a talent for it, perhaps it's best if we show it how well we can handle a rod.
Ace of Hats 28th May 2018, 9:46 PM edit delete reply
Well, you were going to be a fisherman before you started your magical journey. Why not fish for a bit?
Croaker72 28th May 2018, 9:58 PM edit delete reply
Try some fishing and give the Kyoto-to a the fish if you catch one. Try to make friends and get him talking a little more,
Gandalf 29th May 2018, 1:08 AM edit delete reply
Gandalf
+1. It seems friendly enough, and sounds like the opportunity to speak with one doesn't come around too often.
Green Visitor 29th May 2018, 3:18 AM edit delete reply
+1
Guest 28th May 2018, 11:07 PM edit delete reply
+1 for fishing. If we catch some rare ones, we could sell them for profit.
Cloudy 28th May 2018, 11:13 PM edit delete reply
Let Inzo and Ranse explore the beach together. Who known what’ll happen between the two of them... alone... at night... on a beach.
Take the Time to fish.
A lot of shits been going on lately.
This is a lovely night, calm waters, relatively clear skies...
Let’s fish with the fish.
Keep one hand on your airwand for the just in case, but don’t be obvious about.
Nieki 28th May 2018, 11:52 PM edit delete reply
Yeah. Take a few minutes for, you know, YOU. If you can, Nast. What was life like before you got hauled off to prison?
ZincFingers 28th May 2018, 11:56 PM edit delete reply
Yeah, what was life like before your entire inner monologue was text based.
Alex Nipal 29th May 2018, 12:46 AM edit delete reply
+1 for setting up Inzo and Ranse (Everyone seems very open about sex, I imagine they would still have sex with others if they form a couple).

We could tell the elf Summoner about this guy if we see her again, Ephraim is at least as monstrous as a goblin. She might not want to summon concious monsters but she might enjoy "learning" to summon it. Also, we should ask her for her name, I don't think it was mentionned.

Lets take some time to fish with Ephraim then return to town to rest. Do we have to worry about sleeping and eating (like Find Your Way) or do we only need to rest when we get exhausted/injured in combat?
GS 29th May 2018, 1:05 AM edit delete reply
... Yeah. Yeah, let's fish.
Ranse and Inzo can watch our back.
This kuo-toa has special insight; remember that Nast was going to be a fisherman before his hopes of marrying the girl from the inn fell through for some reason.
Let's fish and see what happens. It could open up a new venue of communication. Or just be relaxing.
GS 29th May 2018, 1:26 AM edit delete reply
Heh. ^_^
I'll bet a lot of people were expecting bare-breasted mermaids or beefcake mermen, rather than kuo-toa, when Nast went to the beach.
1977 29th May 2018, 1:57 AM edit delete reply
Before the giant seaserpent or whatever could lurk under the docks attacks I want to know: Is our shield finished?

It is getting late, we should make camp.
Nast + Ranse + Inzo + Tent = Fun Times
Sparky 29th May 2018, 3:18 AM edit delete reply
FISHING TIME WITH FISH FRIEND
Lets relax a bit, fish with the big guy. We could let Ranse stick around though and maybe have Inzo watch the docks. Ranse seems like she wants something anyway