Comic 102 - Head for the docks

28th May 2018, 4:32 PM in High Roads, Low Roads, Threeroads
Average Rating: 5 (1 votes) Rate this comic
Head for the docks
<<First Latest>>

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 28th May 2018, 4:32 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You try a few things with the chest--however, no one in your current party seems very good at picking locks. You cast Deinforce on the chest, weakening it, and ask Inzo to open it with brute force.

...However, his big mecha hands aren't very precise. He tries to get a grip on it to open it without potentially obliterating the thing, but... the suit is definitely built for power, not dexterity. After a little while of finagling with it (and Ranse strongly discouraging Inzo from just annihilating the entire chest), you decide to hold onto the chest for now, and see if maybe Valley (or anyone else) can get it open later. Whatever's inside could be fragile, so you don't want to deal too much damage to it.

You also cast Identify on it, and Ranse helps you confirm that the chest is not cursed or anything like that.

You stash the Locked Beach Chest in your inventory.

You're unsure of how the tide may affect the nearby cave, and you suspect there will be monsters within. For the moment, you opt instead to check out the old docks.

You wander the docks for a little while--there doesn't seem to be much going on here, except for one... big... fish man. Fishing.

"I... I t-think it's a kuo-toa," Ranse whispers. "I've... never s-seen a real one. They... live underground. Usually."

Comments:

1977 28th May 2018, 4:53 PM edit delete reply
Hello, nice weather for fishing.
I'm not from around here, what kind of fish can ├Żou catch here?
What kind of bait are you using? Life bait or artificial?
Isn't it already kind of late?
G. Sansa 28th May 2018, 5:06 PM edit delete reply
Yes.

(Also, Ranse sniffs first. We're probably downwind, so that's good. And Inzo hangs back a bit, the mecha may be intimidating/off-putting and also it's carrying the chest, wouldn't want KT to notice that if it's his.)

Overall we should be quite friendly. For instance, if KT wants foliage or pyre ant as bait, and has anything even remotely useful to trade for it (including good info), then don't hesitate to deal. Possibly even flirt, but not unless we get some signals that it's in the realm of possibility.

Furthermore: re-upping the suggestion to try "self-inspiring" if we happen to get time before the disguise wears off. We may get a new version of the Je Ne Sais Quoi spell to cast.
Guest 28th May 2018, 7:20 PM edit delete reply
+1 to "self-inspire". maybe get gender bender spell so we don't need to use potion to hide.
Ace of Hats 28th May 2018, 4:53 PM edit delete reply
Offer a friendly greeting but don't get too close yet incase it's unfriendly.
ZincFingers 28th May 2018, 4:54 PM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Greet the kuo-toa and ask if they've managed to catch anything, also ask about the cave.
K3001 28th May 2018, 4:58 PM edit delete reply
Ask Ranse about those before coming too close. Alternatively, try to remember what you know about them.
Gandalf 28th May 2018, 5:13 PM edit delete reply
Gandalf
+1.

Find out whether we know anything else already, then cautiously say hello assuming we can't think of any reason to do different.
Green Visitor 28th May 2018, 5:45 PM edit delete reply
+1
TheMightyDragonLizard 28th May 2018, 6:44 PM edit delete reply
+1 If we can figure out if it's friendly, ask if anything useful is biting. Maybe we can ask about the price of a fishing rod and catch some free food for ourselves.
The chicken guy 28th May 2018, 7:40 PM edit delete reply
+1. Politeness is all well and good, but caution is key.
Professor Cupcake 28th May 2018, 5:05 PM edit delete reply
Professor Cupcake
Perhaps ask Ranse if there are any fish here that could be useful to her. Maybe we can buy them from the kuo-toa?
G. Sansa 28th May 2018, 5:41 PM edit delete reply
Inzo's mecha-building goblin hands are probably better at opening chests (eg, by removing pins from hinges) than his monster-punching mecha hands are.
Sonico 28th May 2018, 6:16 PM edit delete reply
My impression is that the "however, no one in your current party seems very good at picking locks." already accounts for any such attempts in Inzo's part also, but must admit i'm not 100% sure of that.
Green Visitor 28th May 2018, 5:56 PM edit delete reply
It`s not a fish. There`s arms and legs and *everything*
Have Ranse smell it, and try to speak to it. Let Inzo try goblinspeech if it can`t understand.

Speech or not, move closer but keep Ranse close as well. Show our admiration. Flatter it. Share some recovereat, unless we have other food. This will be a great ally and inspiration to all!

If things turn really bad however, use poison.
Guest 28th May 2018, 6:02 PM edit delete reply
This is a little off topic, but did Ranse ever leave a note or anything for her brother? I'd just hate for us to go back to Humblestart and see that we're facing kidnapping charges.
Sonico 28th May 2018, 6:17 PM edit delete reply
Yeah, making sure of that, preferably with showing Nast's face around Humblestart, would be good.
Nabb 28th May 2018, 6:29 PM edit delete reply
I am 100% in support of enthusiastically greeting our cool new fishy friend with the intention of recruiting him.
Magister Dicks it 28th May 2018, 6:51 PM edit delete reply
Well Justice would come in handy to be able to speak to this creature.
Which makes me think, sometimes wind magic users are hired as spies that can communicate secretly over big distances. So, what if later on we try to make a spell that enables us to chat/whisper over distance with our party members (and other people too)?

And by the way, how does the inventory work in this world? Is there a space and weight limit? Do we have like a magic bag and are there dimensional pockets/rings?
Is there a chat and whisper system for parties (which would render my previous idea almost useless)?

Really curious about how all this works. So far we know about the 3 people rule, active and secondary groups (doing stuff in the background), and that the party members will know where you are (this last one I'm not 100% sure, could you confirm it?)
Green Visitor 28th May 2018, 7:35 PM edit delete reply
I think the party it mostly run on the rules of convenience. Having too strict rules about anything is not too convenient.
Morgenstern 28th May 2018, 8:39 PM edit delete reply
Morgenstern
Space and weight aren't really an issue for the inventory--think old JRPGs, where you can just haul around 99 of five different types of potions like it's no big deal.

You can't communicate with the party over a distance by default, but there are items and spells that facilitate that.

Your party members can find you, but only if you're in a relatively safe and civilized location (like a town, church, or ranch).
Magister Dicks it 29th May 2018, 5:11 AM edit delete reply
Thank you for making that clear ^_^
I'm really hooked in this story, it has such a nice format, thank you for creating this! :D
barswanian 28th May 2018, 7:28 PM edit delete reply
If we can swap Justice & Ranse, talking with the fish guy would be good.

Dude's just fishing. Attacking would be wrong.