Comic 101 - Explore the beach

27th May 2018, 10:54 PM in High Roads, Low Roads, Threeroads
Average Rating: 5 (1 votes) Rate this comic
Explore the beach
<<First Latest>>

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 27th May 2018, 10:54 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You decide, since it's night time when you reach the coast, to try and avoid monster encounters and instead explore the beach.

As you walk along the sand, you experiment with your wind wand--trying to get a handle on the difference between just blowing other things, or blowing yourself as well. You figure out with some practice that you can put more force into your wind... not just giving a light breeze, as you did the first time you used it, but also creating wind strong enough to push yourself (or presumably, other similarly weighted individuals) around.

However, using stronger gusts takes more out of you. Flight is... possible, but it would take a lot of oomph, and controlling yourself in mid-air is a bit of a crapshoot. At the very least, you can use the wand in short bursts to launch yourself forward, back, or sideways at different angles... which could be very useful for dodging. You're not the most agile human alive, so using it this way is still a bit tough--and you wouldn't want to abuse it, due to the mana drain.

Still, it's an option.


You joke about getting everyone in bikinis and having a beach party.

Ranse rolls her eyes, but seems to do so playfully. You're... slowly getting a wrangle on the subtleties of her facial expressions. "I... d-don't. Own a bikini. Don't... get out much. If you couldn't tell. F-fromthepaleness."

"Hume looks like all humes to Inzo," Inzo remarks.

Ranse throws her hands up. "A-are you... color blind, or do... d-do all non-goblins just... look the sametoyou?"

"Moo-moo cow is moo-moo cow," Inzo replies. "Nast is hume with purple hair, was black hair, little confusing. New hume has blue hair. Witch has green hair and fancy cape. Glasses hume has glasses and big butt."

"S... s-s-seriously?," Ranse stutters out. "Th... that'swhatI'mknownfor? H-having a huge ass?"

"Hume should be proud," Inzo states. "When gobses rule and Inzo is king, Inzo will have queen with big, round butt. Maybe two queens."

Between Inzo and the goblin at the thieves guild, you're starting to think there's an overlap between being a goblin and being an ass man.

Ranse snorts. "At... t-that height. Wouldn't you be? S-seriously. Inzo. I thought... y-you didn't. Think about, that kind of thing."

"Inzo is too busy for butts," Inzo affirms. "Plotting gob rule, building machines. Butts is for winners."

"Y-you should..." Ranse takes a breath. "Take... a break. Once in a while. I can't... t-think straight. Without getting off sometimes. Nast... learns magic. F-from fucking. Apparently. It... h-helpsyourbrain."

"Is glasses hume making Inzo an offers? Hume wants to be Inzo's queen?" Inzo turns around in his seat to give Ranse a smirk.

Ranse only makes eye contact long enough to give him a cold glare, then resumes her normal behavior of not looking at anyone. "L-learn... my name. Maybewe'lltalk."


Traveling along the beach, you spot a partially submerged cave in the cliff face, and a set of old fishing docks.

Also, while blowing sand around with your wand, you find a buried treasure chest... however, it's locked.
Morgenstern 27th May 2018, 11:18 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
As an OOC aside, I have started posting exclusive art on my Patreon. Unlike most of the art in this comic--which I have to pump out at a steady (and slightly frantic) pace--this would be art I spent many days working on and thus, it's of a much higher quality than usual. Here's a preview.

image

This is available to anyone in the $5 and up tier. If folks show interest in more art like this, and if this helps get more people to join the Patreon, then I'll do art like this more often. Thanks to everyone that's already contributing, and to everyone who's been reading and commenting so far! This comic literally cannot exist without you, so... thank you.

Comments:

Jex 27th May 2018, 11:43 PM edit delete reply
Maybe Inzo can open it. If not, Nast has a wand that makes a pretty sharp blade.

Also check out the docks and the cave to see whats there. Dock might have a boat if the cave is inaccessible but that's going a bit far ahead.
Guest 28th May 2018, 12:01 AM edit delete reply
At the very least, we can haul it back so Valley can break it.
Sparky 28th May 2018, 12:11 AM edit delete reply
I agree, we should haul it back for Valley
G. Sansa 28th May 2018, 7:05 AM edit delete reply
Valley already has a big chest of her own.
ZincFingers 28th May 2018, 6:26 AM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
Dammit, sorry whoever had actually replied to me, trying to sort out some profile stuff, didn't know you'd get erased too.

As I said...
Leave the cave alone until we know when low tide is.
Try to keep the chest in one piece so we can strap it to the mech as portable storage.
Find out if Inzo can make a boat.
Barswanian 27th May 2018, 11:54 PM edit delete reply
Be careful with the chest. Its survived the ocean air, it could be useful itself.

If the lock can't be picked though, we could pretty easily deinforce it.

Also, we need notecards for Inzo with everyone's names and faces.
Plus ones reminding him of the dangers of megalomania.
Twelveseal 27th May 2018, 11:55 PM edit delete reply
Might want to be cautious of the box. No clue if Mimics, cursed items, trapped chests, or the like are a thing. We might want to come back with a thief like Sweet or Mel to crack it open. If we really want to open it though, we might be better served by Lagrand's Brambling Hand than the wand. He might be able to pop the lock by growing his brambles inside the keyhole. Whether he could use the hand as a makeshift key or just break it outright. That way we don't risk damaging the contents.
Sparky 28th May 2018, 12:12 AM edit delete reply
I don't think we should have Mel open it. She might want whats inside it mostly for herself as a finders fee
Ghest 28th May 2018, 12:18 AM edit delete reply
I don't remember ever seeing a locked mimic and Nast or Ranse can identify magic so we won't be taken unaware by cursed objects. Traps might be a problem though.
Sparky 28th May 2018, 12:10 AM edit delete reply
FUCK YEAH BEACH TREASURE CHEST.
I say we do a quick peruse of the docks and see if any fishing gear is nearby. Also I wouldn't go in the cave if its partially submerged, could be dangerous footing.

Aside from that, Congrats on 100 pages! I just started recently and am currently loving it so far.
Lavitz 28th May 2018, 12:27 AM edit delete reply
deinforce the lock and have Valley break it
1977 28th May 2018, 2:56 AM edit delete reply
Don't damage the chest. Try picking the lock. Cast identify to detect enchantments or traps.

Depending of the tide search or wait with the cave.

Search the docks.
Gandalf 28th May 2018, 4:22 AM edit delete reply
Gandalf
+1

Open the chest as carefully as we can, it's potentially useful in itself not just for its contents. If we can't get it open on the beach then take it with us until we can get someone to pick it open for us.

Explore the docks. Avoid the cave of drowning for now.
Green Visitor 28th May 2018, 6:15 AM edit delete reply
+1 for chest

Explore docks first, but no stealing. Observe cave.
K3001 28th May 2018, 4:29 AM edit delete reply
Just take the pins out of hinges if you'll fail to open the lock.
G. Sansa 28th May 2018, 7:07 AM edit delete reply
Agreed. Inzo can do that after Ranse sniffs it.
Anonymous 28th May 2018, 5:48 AM edit delete reply
Be careful with the chest. Have Ranse check it and its contents for anything dangerous before you go near or touch it. If it’s a trap, slash it from a distance - there may still be some good loot. Otherwise, remember that it could contain something delicate. Try deinforcing the lock and trying to break that before you simply have Valley smash it open.
Green Visitor 28th May 2018, 6:03 AM edit delete reply
+1 to at least observing cave and tides before entering. Taking Inzos mecha to a cramped and watery place seems uncertain. At least / anyway ask Inzo if mecha floats or sinks.
G. Sansa 28th May 2018, 7:02 AM edit delete reply
Buried chest is not just treasure right now, it's a hook for future pirate adventures. Maybe we could take it, then blow away our tracks and leave some irregular foliage in a trail up to an ambush site in the dunes. Chances of pirates showing back up while we're still around are low, but not zero.
Gallstone 28th May 2018, 7:09 AM edit delete reply
Interesting! Inzo isn't asexual, just highly focused. "Butts are for winners", heh heh. ^_^ Good one.
I wonder. If he ever did take some time off, would Inzo fancy Ranse?s number one fan is green, all other gobs we've seen are orange. Do gobs find such differences to be significant at all? Maybe we should ask Inzo.
Another question: Sweet'
ZincFingers 28th May 2018, 7:23 AM edit delete reply
ZincFingers
You, er, appear to have been cut off at the end there.
Iago 28th May 2018, 8:11 AM edit delete reply
Less cut off, more scrambled, I'd guess.
Probably was going for "Sweet's number one fan ..."

I was curious about goblins and colors as well, but thats' answered in the lore page.
I do wonder, now if :
- a green goblinette would be exotic enough for Inzo's tribe, as that should be an easier sell ?
- if all the goblinses are looking in ladies from other races is their phat asses. There certainly seems to be a trend there ?
- if that's it, how's about giving the tribe's girls fat bottoms of their own ? Should be doable, but would that do ?

Anyways.
Take some time to have a careful closer look at the chest,open if safe (a mecanist should be able to handle that), grab for later if too complex.
Then visit the old docks.
Cave noted for later, we'll come back for it.

Take a sec to agree that Ranse's butt is indeed spectacular, even though her mind and skills (and the snark) are what we recruted her for.
On a related note, mention in passing, out of Inzo's earshot, that considering how "interested" she seemed to be in what we were doing with Lagrand the other morning, we'd be very, very willing to give her a taste, once our dick is back.
Because we're also still a lady for a few more hours, and haven't explored how our magic affects those fluids. We'll also potentially share a tent in a bit. You know. Just saying.

Until then, chest then docks.
Gallstone 28th May 2018, 8:45 AM edit delete reply
Yes, something odd happened to my previous post. :-/
Fireopal 28th May 2018, 11:45 AM edit delete reply
+1 to having Ranse have a taste, both as woman and man.
Cloudy 28th May 2018, 7:50 AM edit delete reply
Deinforce and locks or hinges
Have the mech give it a good pull
Cloudy 28th May 2018, 7:50 AM edit delete reply
Any*
Croaker72 28th May 2018, 9:09 AM edit delete reply
Try identify on the chest. While it will probably show nothing, better to check before we start damaging a magic chest.
grenli 28th May 2018, 9:24 AM edit delete reply
grenli
Deinforce chest. Open lootbox of magic bikinis.
Hellbovine 28th May 2018, 12:26 PM edit delete reply
Hellbovine
I see what you did there...
+1
Sonico 28th May 2018, 9:42 AM edit delete reply
"Too busy plotting world rule, building machines. Butts is for winners." - great words to live by indeed. :D

On an unrelated note, considering Ranse's appreciation of Nast on Lagrand action and magical cum guzzling, would she be up to an all-you-can-eat bukkakke session with them both?

Just curious if interest or shyness will win out.
Tech 28th May 2018, 11:34 AM edit delete reply
+1 to gangbanging our cute scientist friend.
Fireopal 28th May 2018, 11:47 AM edit delete reply
She doesn't seem to like Lagrand much, but we could appeal to her sense of science. Does the semen of a witch taste different that that of a regular mage?
Sonico 28th May 2018, 4:07 PM edit delete reply
She sure appreciated their moment of gaysexing a few nights ago very much, so i'm guessing that while she may have doubts about his sanity, appealing to her sense of science and perviness both could work nicely..
Alex Nipal 28th May 2018, 11:51 AM edit delete reply
Don't break the chest. If it's usable, we can use it or sell it for some extra money. We can Deinforce and break the lock though since we don't have the key.

It looks like no one has any issue with sleeping around and having recreationnal sex so I assume we could still bang Ranse and Inzo if they get together?

Lets check the fishing docks and keep the cave for later. This cave is probably known by the local people, if we find someone we can ask them for info about the cave: when is the water at its lowest, did other people explore it, is it home to someone/something, what's the cave's name?
G. Sansa 28th May 2018, 3:59 PM edit delete reply
Just had an idea.

"Je ne sais quoi" is obviously, um, self-inspired. If Nast tries "self-inspiration" while "disguised", that spell might get a power boost: it might become possible to cast it as a temporary effect on another individual.

Or in general, "re-inspiration" when disguised might give spells a power-boost. For instance, (d/r)einforce might become usable in combat as temporary effects on living creatures. Or something like that.
G. Sansa 28th May 2018, 4:02 PM edit delete reply
(Obviously, if this were true, mana costs would probably climb for the boosted versions of the spells.)
Iago 28th May 2018, 4:29 PM edit delete reply
Not a bad idea.
Let us experiment, for science !